CM games to support widescreen resolutions?

Hello all! I finally did something i was supposed to do for years, bought CM2.

Now that i finally have this masterpiece i bumbed to problems with my both widescreen displays. At first it looked like some video display incompality issue, but then i figured it out with help of some support guy i mailed.

So seems like the game is not supporting widescreen resolutions at all. Whatever wide resotuion your using on desktop, it will not offer that for use. (btw it actually offer the resolution with the same width) For exaple my projector native resolution is 1280x720 and i have that on use on desktiop. But when CM2 is started without pref file all i get is black screen. (it only offers 1280x960 etc and those can't be seen with my displays)

Workaround for this situation to change the desktop resolution to for example 1024x768. I did that to get the game configure the and running. However, because of downscaling (768->720) it's not looking very good, and i loose major area of the display to black bars :(

The queston is: Could this be changed? I think it should be at least considered?

I'm sure ppl would like to enjoy this amazing game with their widescreen displays, projectors and LCD-TVs. Those are prety popular allready and majority of laptops today has a widescreen display.

More and more ppl will switch to widescreen every day and CM-games will probably be played years from now. This amazing game would be even better if it would take all adventake of these new display types and would display pixel perfect on LCD-displays.

This would not only be 'nice to have' feature. Actually this is a quite big problem for unexperienced users having wide display.

With many displays all you can see now is the black screen...and you have figure out that you need to change desktop resolution from 16:9 -> 4:3 before you can see a thing. This is not mentioned anywhere on the manual or so. What do you think? I understand if it would be a major change to games engine and therefore impossible, but i thought this should be at leas discussed about. Tell me what you think! smile.gif Who else would like widescreen resolutions?

• 2 years later...

No 16:9 or 16:10 widescreen resolutions seem to be supported by the CMx1 series to my knowledge. However I have seen non-standard resolutions on rare occasions, though I'm at a complete loss as to why they showed up at all. It's possible that a certain driver and videocard combinations may somehow get CM to use some widescreen resolutions (or non-standard resolutions that may not necessarily be widescreen).

Unfortunately there is no consistency with getting these non-standard resolutions to be recognized and utilized by CM. If you have time to burn trying to possibly figure this out, what you would want to do is try every possible driver for your videocard (especially beta drivers) starting with some of the earliest compatible drivers and use several resoltuions (possibly starting with some of the highest ones supported by your display) and see if an appropriate widescreen-like resolution is offered at some point. This of course is quite tedious and there's no guarantee that you would get anything worthwhile for all of your effort.