Integrated Graphics Cards

jeffsmith

I am going stir crazy stuck in my hotel

So, I called my wife and convinced her that I should buy a laptop

Since I am finding that I do alot of PC work these days

it was a PC laptop

I am a diehard "Mac Head" and to buy a PC...

Well, I think know how Anakin must have felt as he fell to the power of the Sith :mad:

my question to you all is

this laptop has an ATI Express 200m Vidcard

one of the dreaded memory sharing kind

So I am almost certain that this notebook won't play CMAK

but are there any games out there (other than minesweeper)

that I might be able to play on this PC ?

It will actually play games of the CM generation just fine, hardware wise.

The problem of course is that this is not only integrated, but ATI, so you have to live with their "interesting" drivers.

Maybe they changed that but last I looked your couldn't even use ATI's own drivers but had to rely on drivers issued by the notebook manufra©turer - which of course cut you off about 3 minutes after you buy thing. So not only do you have to live with drivers that deliberately cut you off older features and generally don't work quite right, you even have to live with old versions of these drivers.

According to the INF file, Omega Driver v. 2.6.61 (Catalyst 5.8) will work with the ATI Radeon Express 200 Series. This particular Omega driver is based on the Catalyst 5.8 (second to latest driver) and it should work with the CM series to my knowledge.

Of course ATI will lack fog for the current CM series, but it should generally work. This particular Omega driver works fine with CMAK and a Radeon 9600XT. Obviously an IGP solution like the Radeon Express 200m will not have the same performance, but it should generally be acceptable for the CM series.

As for Steel Panthers, you can get the 8.2-8.4 versions from here and I'd assume that they would work fine too (since they only really need DirectDraw).

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

As for Steel Panthers, you can get the 8.2-8.4 versions from here and I'd assume that they would work fine too (since they only really need DirectDraw).

Actually ATI breaks (2D) directdraw even worse. At least this is why Armored Task Force doesn't work unless you turn all hardware acceleration off.