Vista machines can't connect to game server

bartbert

A number of players who have Windows Vista machines have reported problems with both the auto-updater and not being able to play online games.

A workaround reported by one user is to log onto Windows using the "administrator" login. Apparently this login has sufficient rights to get past whatever permission limitations that are causing the problems.

Just to share information, I am running Vista (always signed on as Administrator) and do not have a problem running the auto-updater or entering the lobby. However, I cannot play an online game. When I attempt to start an online game from the DiF lobby, the program starts the game but then locks up with the following errort message: "Unable to Join Game There was a problem connecting to the game server Reason Code -2146073824".

Brian Marrs has emailed me, stating that there is a compatibility issue with Vista and the DirectX9 that DiF uses for online games. However, they are working on a patch that should be available in a couple of weeks.

If anyone else is able to get it to work sooner, please post here...I'm anxious to pay what I've paid for and would rather not return the product for a refund.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I can log-on and update the game but I cannot start an online game at all. I receive the same Reason Code.

I see there was some mention of a patch in the previous post, is this a reality and if so is there a time frame for completion.

Thanks

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No good news to report so far. I have tried a couple of things, but they haven't fixed the problem.

I'm starting to look into adding the ability to play offline campaign games. This doesn't solve the Vista problem, but it does fill a major void for those who cannot play online.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I have just purchased this game, and based upon the dwindling support, I am starting to question that decision. Anyway...it is still a bit of fun.

For those frustrated Vista users, of which I am also one, I can only offer the following advice, which will allow you to play after some mucking about. I, too, have exactly the same connectivity problem under Vista. I then installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (free download), pulled out an old Windows XP license and installed it as a virtual PC. Upgrade to SP2 and voila, DiF works within a Window in Vista...no dual booting.

Unfortunately, you need an XP license, but I am sure most of this group have been around long enough for that.

• 1 month later...

Well I don't lnow what I''m doing right or wrong, bit I've beeen able to play online camapigns and create online games agaimst the AI on my Vista 32 box. The only thing I did oit of the ordinary when I first logged on was to tell Widows Firewall to stop blocking content from the site.

• 3 weeks later...

I having the same issue. Looking at other forums it might be a Direct-X level issue. I know that I have the newest level but also older levels for some software. Perhaps DiF is not finding the correct level. I have SP1 and don't use windows firewall. I have set the programs up in both windows and Norton 360 and run as administrator but to know avail.

:)'er

I think Vista comes with DirectX 10 installed, but the game requires DirectX 9.0c. You can find out what version you are running by clicking on the Windows "Start" button and then the "Run" item. Type "dxdiag" in the dialog window and click "OK" to display a screen with all your DirectX info. Somewhere towards the bottom of the list of info is the version.

Vista has Direct X 10 amd 9.0x installed, but 9.0x doesn't contain everything that 9.0c needs. You can however remedy this by intalling 9.0c and it will install what's missing. I'd already donne this for other games before I reinstalled DiF, so it may be a factor. Having DirectX10 and 9.0C installed at the same time does not seem to cause any probelms, programs seem to know which they need.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I have just purchased this game, and based upon the dwindling support, I am starting to question that decision. Anyway...it is still a bit of fun.

For those frustrated Vista users, of which I am also one, I can only offer the following advice, which will allow you to play after some mucking about. I, too, have exactly the same connectivity problem under Vista. I then installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (free download), pulled out an old Windows XP license and installed it as a virtual PC. Upgrade to SP2 and voila, DiF works within a Window in Vista...no dual booting.

Unfortunately, you need an XP license, but I am sure most of this group have been around long enough for that.

Thanks for this great advice. I had the same problems with Vista. I was skeptical of Virtual PC at first, but tried it anyway; and what a wonderful thing it is! DIF works fine in my new virtual XP machine!

I even set up a virtual Win 98 machine for older games that I can't play XP.

It did take me quite a bit of time to figure out how to build the Win 98 machine, but building the XP machine was a snap.

BTW, for anyone wanting to build a Win98 machine, here is a great link:

http://vpc.essjae.com/

Certainly a great tip, thanks.