How will CMBO run on this rig?

I'm building a machine based around a 900MHz Duron. Unfortunately the graphics card is the weakest link - at present I think I'll be using a PCI 8MB S3. I know it will run but I'm not sure how badly.. smile.gif Does anyone know how the fog emulation works with the S3?

Oh, I will be using 128MB PC133 ram as well for the time being. It's a DDR motherboard but I can't afford the DDR memory at the mo.

[ February 22, 2002, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: phil stanbridge ]

CPU & memory-wise you should be fine. Your S3-based video card will be the weakest link here. The S3 cards don't support fog-tables under DirectX (from what I've seen). There may be some transparency issues too. The 8Mb of VRAM is probably coupled to one of the slower S3 3D capable chips, so there probably won't be much performance, period.

A 16 or 32Mb TNT2 would be a much better performer (plus supporting all of the 'bells and whistles' of CMBO/CMBB). These cards should be fairly inexpensive (US$50 or less for some of them). Check with any of your local computer retailers, it may be a card that they do a lot of 'builds' with.

If you have an AGP slot on your board, Newegg has a Visiontek GF2 GTS-V (an underclocked GTS which can often be overclocked back to its original levels) for $49US if you were looking for a cheap upgrade.

BTW, you can't use SDRAM and DDR on the same motherboard unless you get the ECS [something] or Asus A7A266 board (I only know of those two) that have slots for both DRAM types. Just making sure you know this before buying the parts.

- Chris

[ February 24, 2002, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Wolfe ]

Phil, if you're buying the video card, and since I can see you're in the UK - have a look at this company. I use them to supply all of my needs, those I build PC's for and my work place. You should be able to buy a 16MB video card for the same price as an 8MB - and for £45 you can get a 32MB GEForce MX 200. I can vouch for the reliability of the company and the speed of their delivery - and no, I'm not on commission ;)