Will the AI Axis invade Egypt?

With the game approaching its gone gold date, do any of the playtesters know if the AI will invade Egypt. The AI in Sc1 never did, even if there were no Allied forces in the Mediterranean.

Also, do you find that defending Egypt; as a human player, is a viable strategy?

The AI should try to take advantage of worthwhile opportunities that present themselves!.

If Egypt is weakely defended...then, YES, the AI should see if it has the Resources to spare...and 'where-with-all' to attack Egypt and then proceed to do so!. The same should go for Norway and so on!.

If commitment's elsewhere demand too-much of the Axis AI...then it should be able to evaluate that it cannot proceed with those missions at this point in time!.

Good points.

It will be interesting to see how HC's scripts handle this. Perhaps by not using the Steal flag after a specific condition exists?

I wonder if there is a condition where you can tell the AI not to execute a script if Russian Readiness is greater than 80%.

Everyone,

The AI for the game, for all scenarios, will be basic, solid, dependable, functional and versatile, no doubt.

Frankly, many of the items on these assorted "AI wish lists" are more of the "what-if and variable" type of thing.

After all, each to their OWN kind of S & T, true?

If Hubert were to TRY and implement even a portion of all that's been suggested and asked for, it would take him, oh, I'd venture... AT LEAST until August of 2009! ;)

After release I am fair certain you will have a situation akin to what happened with HoI, where the community (... here, likely, much sterling work done by Edwin P since he REALLY likes to "dream the speculative dreams" and that is always... :cool: )

With the major difference being... with HoI it was like placing a sparkling hood ornament on an old Depression era jalopy that has been sitting out in the distant rain-puddle ditch... no wheels, no motor, and so, ipso in facto, no use, and not much good! LOLOL!

With SC-2 there are nearly infinite possiblities, and so, we need FIRST have a good and solid basic game before we can do these other very interesting "scripted things," yes? smile.gif

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

If Hubert were to TRY and implement even a portion of all that's been suggested and asked for, it would take him, oh, I'd venture... AT LEAST until August of 2009! ;)

Actually, I don't tyhink it would ever get done, because the suggestions will just keep coming. The suggestions aren't a bad thing, it's just that AI can only be expected to do so much until we can actually teach a computer to think and not just follow script.

Personally, I will be very happy if we can just get an AI that puts up a good fight. A good defense and a good offense. The ability to defend and attack reasonable objectives. The ability to not commit suicide by stupidity would be nice. The ability to mount a sustained offensive. The ability to set up a defensive line (or not) as the situation suggests.

I know my comments may seem too general to those that like the total details of any possibility or scenario. But it is quite possibly the ability of a games AI to have a very general but high quality basics, that make the biggest difference in the quality of a solitare game.

Originally posted by Desert Dave:

With SC-2 there are nearly infinite possiblities, and so, we need FIRST have a good and solid basic game before we can do these other very interesting "scripted things," yes? smile.gif

You are totally right : first the basic game. Then the script kiddies can come in and take over if they want :)

But to answer : IMHO the cost of taking Egypt is pretty steep when you can't easily kill the British fleet there. Even with the plunering and the Iraq mines, I wonder if it's worth the time that it takes. Because it takes ALOT of time, no ?

Actually, I don't tyhink it would ever get done, because the suggestions will just keep coming. The suggestions aren't a bad thing, it's just that AI can only be expected to do so much until we can actually teach a computer to think and not just follow script.

Personally, I will be very happy if we can just get an AI that puts up a good fight.

Also VERY true, Yogi, LOL!

It would NEVER get done,

It ain't never over even when

It's ALMOST over! smile.gif

Now,

Some will excoriate on this point,

I do suspect,

BUT!

There are MANY ways, OTHER THAN scripting, and other than selecting a particular default "difficulty level," to adjust the game so that YOU!

Have precisely the dream game that provides you, and only you, the most good fun. :cool:

Seriously.

I have looked it over quite some time now, and have noticed that I,

Who has NOT MUCH experience

With "electro-techno wrench & jive,"

CAN and HAVE made a "personal mod"

(... after all - tell me if you can,

which TWO players have the SAME

game preferences?)

That I REALLY enjoy,

And you know what?

I can LOSE playing either side! :D

IMHO the cost of taking Egypt is pretty steep when you can't easily kill the British fleet there. Even with the plunering and the Iraq mines, I wonder if it's worth the time that it takes. Because it takes ALOT of time, no ?
Well, TJ,

(... Zen version of yer handle, if

you don't care for that, say it so)

The entire Middle East is VASTLY different

Than it was in SC-1.

More room to maneuver and some more valuable territory to occupy.

Armor, and mechanized forces matter MORE than Air forces, believe it or no.

IF the everyday average GP (... IE, "game player") elects to just let ol' Egypt go, and allows the Axis GP to have it easily, well,

Allies will have a terrible time TRYING to make up for that loss.

Can be done, sure, but it would be a challenge. ;)