Hello,

I must say that I do not know SC very well.

But I'm looking for a grand strategy game, that can be modded very easily.

Will it be possible to make a Total Conversion of SC2 without knowing much about programming?

(I want to make a Sci-Fi grand strategy game)

So, would that be possible?

As it stands now, you won't be able to create new unit types or research categories with the editor. There's plenty of flexibility for editing unit values and editing some research attributes such as cost, max level, etc. But the game mechanics for combat and how certain research affects certain unit values will remain constant.

What I get out of all this is that SC2 has nearly ultimate flexibility for modding as a WWII grand strategy game, given the interrelationships of air, ground, and naval combat power of the period. Most of this can be easily extrapolated to similar periods, like WWI or WWIII without nukes. Other periods may challenge modders to make their game fit within the SC2 model.

It may be possible to allow names of unit types and research areas to be edited somehow, like calling Tank Groups "Cavalry" and Heavy Tanks "Heavy Cavalry" instead. Or calling them "Mech Warriors" for that 23rd century sci-fi game. Whatever. Hubert should consider this. :cool:

Just remember that the editor is for SC2 first and foremost. It will certainly have applications beyond WWII European Theater of Operations, but that's icing on the cake. ;)

The best example of a modded game I have ever seen was Civilization II Test of Time.

On one game, you got original, extended, scifi, and fantasy versions.

In all cases, it was the exact same units, they merely had different shirts on hehe.

Now that is fine for whimsical, but it won't accomplish anything for exporting the game to a totally specific sub setting.

Which is why SC2 will likely be just fine for making a scifi/fantasy variant, as it won't matter what your units are called, or any of all that, if they never really existed.

But I am skeptical that a game carefully crafted for a specific period of time, for a specific region, can just have new icons and map, and presto hey its now the Pacific, or Presto its now a scaled up version of the desert.

But I have seen a few games out there, where it was plenty clear even the original designer hadn't a single clue what he was doing, let alone any of his games rabid fanboy modders smile.gif

So keep in mind you modders, HC was intent on making a game of WW2 era European warfare when he started, and not surprisingly, he wasn't particularly worried if it wasn't perfect for virtually anything eh.

Originally posted by pzgndr:

It may be possible to allow names of unit types and research areas to be edited somehow, like calling Tank Groups "Cavalry" and Heavy Tanks "Heavy Cavalry" instead. Or calling them "Mech Warriors" for that 23rd century sci-fi game. Whatever. Hubert should consider this. :cool:

Yes, this will be possible smile.gif