Comments regarding the demo

I read that several players had problems with the graphics. Luckily I didn’t. It worked perfectly except one thing I haven’t read yet, so I post it here.

The buttons in the reinforcement screen seems to be wrong. They are black/dark for what you can do and lights up for what u can’t do. Shouldn’t it be opposite?

I know there r hundreds of opinions, ideas and complaints regarding this game. Most of them are correct, but still it means all of them can be implemented.

There is one issue thou that bothers me allot. Planes wiping out ground forces! Enemy air units absolutely, naval units fine and rocket units ok, tank units maybe, but infantry NO.

Their strength should be reduced with lets say 25% max and therefore never be able to be reduced to lesser then 2 (2*0.25=0.5 nearest up). Readiness n morale is something else, but only ground forces should be able to clear up enemy infantry units.

Last thing – is there any mod for real flags yet?

I'm enjoying the demo too - most of the things I disliked about SC1 have been improved (and I was always a fan).

Inevitably, something remains. The shore bombardment is still far too powerful. I can see it for D-Day when naval gunfire was intense against fixed positions (or in some cases mobile attacks against the coast). However, there is one situation that seems really odd. If you are defending France then luring the German armour towards the coast (basically having it swing North of Paris by leaving this area weak) can bring them to the coastal hexes. If so, you can hit them with 2-3 Battleships followed by air (legitimate) and ground. Its usually good for a kill. I think rapidly advancing armour would have been too far from the coast (the coastal hexes are big) and moving too often (fire control wasn't THAT good) to hit with this quantity of Naval gunfire. It makes quite a difference to the game - if the UK is willing to risk its and the French navy then you can make a better fight of it than was likely.

One German ploy also seems a little strange - you can often land two corps North of Paris because transports can move then unload - I did this next to an Allied Battleship. Its not always a good idea but if the Allies are fighting in forwards positions near or in Belgium then its not too nice. I think it unlikely the Germans could have managed this - is there an argument for an amphibious landing technology to create national differences? Both for this and future Far East games that enhances range, reduces cost, increases defense of transports and maybe lets attacks ashore work better? Or build limits for Amphibious operations?

I would dare say that no amphibious landing can be made if you are adjacent to an enemy naval unit (a combat one, not a transport) to start with.

As to the rest, it seems an amphibious tech is in the air, but it has to be confirmed. I would like it ;)

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

About the only real gripe I have after playing the demo now many times is an air unit holding a city.

It can hold it, but not for too long.

People have to keep in mind that each tile is huge in expanse so the advancing troops on the city could have none of the city, some of the city, while the air group could still have the airport or be based just outside the city keeping the enemy from securing the city, this is why the aif fleet can "hold" a city.

Keep the map in perspective.

Originally posted by Chris G:

There is one issue thou that bothers me allot. Planes wiping out ground forces! Enemy air units absolutely, naval units fine and rocket units ok, tank units maybe, but infantry NO.

Their strength should be reduced with lets say 25% max and therefore never be able to be reduced to lesser then 2 (2*0.25=0.5 nearest up). Readiness n morale is something else, but only ground forces should be able to clear up enemy infantry units.

Again, we have to keep the game in perspective. An Air Fleet in SC2 represents not just air planes with machine guns but the whole gamut(sp?) of air power, tank busters, small bombers for infantries, etc... essentially, it could wipe out a decimated infantry.

Originally posted by SMG42:

I would dare say that no amphibious landing can be made if you are adjacent to an enemy naval unit (a combat one, not a transport) to start with.

As to the rest, it seems an amphibious tech is in the air, but it has to be confirmed. I would like it ;)

Again ;) , keep the game in perspective, tiles are kilometers in size, they good be completly out of visual range. And do not forgot, water tiles are even bigger in size.

Colin I, mostly satisfied, but:

Inevitably, something remains. The shore bombardment is still far too powerful.

You can lower this S-B factor in the Editor

For your own game, should you prefer.

Each turn is what?

2-4 weeks?

Sustained shore bombardment might

Well take the sort of toll

On exposed units which

You are leery about.

Some would say - no way!

OK.

Say,

There are 400 members,

We'd surely have 400 different opinions

On very nearly ANY aspect

Of this fabulous game. ;)

Keep the map in perspective.

Again, we have to keep the game in perspective. An Air Fleet...
Again ;) , keep the game in perspective, tiles are...
What's up?

Bing bang bing?

Blash Man?

Did I miss the meeting where

Today's "talking points"

RE: keeping all in perspective,

Was discussed? LOL. ;)

Well,

I do miss LOTS of meetings

Since I am,

As everyone knows by now,

Quite... reticent. :eek:

Blashy, a holster-slapping young gun letting the Old alley Cat know what's what:

I thought it was because you said you were becoming senile. :D

Did I say that? :confused:

Shoot,

I dunno,

Let's see,

Ummmm,

I... just... might ... have.

Senility is a terrible thing to waste,

I always say, rather

Sometimes say?

Whatever. tongue.gif

oh speaking of 88' (well I will speak of field artillery in fact...), I would really like to have arties units in the campaigns, not just the scenarios.

I know its ahistorical on the other hand (corps sized artilleries units, oh my!) but this would be terribly fun. I always liked World at war artilleries and anti air units , not because it make sense, but because it added new strategies.

@Blashy: I can understand your point about the inability of a combat surface unit to spot transports in an adjacent hex (oops, tile!) but I think it would be better from a gameplay point of view, just to enforce a bit more the fact that the German really need to sunk - at least partially - the RN to conduct Sealion.

You DO need to sink the RN to conduct a Sealion, at least if you try it vs. me smile.gif .

With the Attack and move rule, artillery really is not necessarry in SC2, plus as you stated it would be unrealistic to have artillery units in the tile behind bombing an enemy 2 tiles away, remember huge kilometers square per tile.

interesting, how would you prevent amphibs from unloading mister the British? smile.gif They have a darn good range if I recall well.

No, I think you would really need to have this ZOC rule if you want me to not land on your soil. Now perhaps I'm boasting, who knows, this war was also about propaganda! ;)

I have been playing the full version for months now (see sig) I'm no genius or someone who looks at every detail of the game the way Terif enjoys doing but I'm a fairly decent player, I've done it and my friend the other beta tester who LOVES Sealion never tries it against me.

And I will ALWAYS let the Axis land a few units, nothing I love more as Allies than seeing USA and USSR join in 1940 or winter 1941.

So I never want to prevent from landing ALL units, I intend to use the Axis agression for diplomatic capital (increase % of 2 Allied majors).