Idee for a change in Research

If you are unlucky then it is possible that you havent an Research true the whole game.

example:

You spend 5 Research in a Category where you havent any Research now.

So you have 5 * 5% = 25% change for a Research and that every Round. So it is possible that you can wait until the end of the Game for a Research.

My Idee is now that every Round you havent an Research your change rise.

50% of your change will be added every Round.

example:

You have a 25% change in Round 1.

In Round 2 you have a 37.5% ( 25% + 12.5%[50% from 25%])

Round 3 50% (37.5% + 12.5%[50% from 25%])

and so on.

What do you think about that idee?

Stephan

Welcome to the forum, shuegli65. smile.gif

Basically you are right. It can happen, that you have no research progress in a whole game, but it is very unlikely.

Given a 25% chance for a hit each turn, no hit at all after 50 turns should happen less than once in a million games.

I also favored the idea of an increasing chance for a long time, but recently I started to appreciate the current system.

Yes it is like this at present. Treadhead writes "It only makes since that the longer you research something the greater the odds are that you will get it. " This is what happens at present. the earlier you invest in something the more likely you are to get it. the percentage stays the same but you keep rolling the dice.

I've never played a game where I don't get at least some of the tech advances I want, maybe not as soon as I'd like them but eventually.

I think patience and concentrating 2 or more chits on a couple of techs that you need quickly (ie ASW or IF) are the best.

Some form of improvement is needed, maybe not a per turn but per 1/4 or 1/2 year maybe. I know the odds are extremely low, but I have sat on 5 chits in a category at zero and waited ,more than a year and a half to get first hit, in several different games. Just my two cents....

It is the one area of this fantastic game I am getting increasingly frustrated with.

Just played the 1.08 World campaign and my American corps are sitting in Japan without wheels unable to move since 1943. Finished the game in 1945 still without wheels.

I would like to see the R&D section moved towards investment = time and money with fixed timetable.

Example:

Level 1 = 6 month development with current costs

Level 2 = 9 month development with current costs

Level 3 = 12 month development +25% cost increase

Level 4 = 15 month development +50% cost increase

Level 5 = 18 month development +100%cost increase

Next level starts when previous level is completed. This means that some of fancy Level 5 kit will only hit the road/air/sea by earliest 04/44 but more likely 07/44 which would be more historical accurate and would probably hurt the game balance not too much.

This would give also the Russians a better chance as they have to decide either for numbers or quality of troops. I had too many games where I invested in Russian R&D early but never got a lucky break.

The game has evolved again massively in WaW and Hubert did a brilliant job by tweaking the AI into a very respectable perfomance including giving the AI some very cute ideas.

Therefore some planing security when investing large amounts of the Players available MPP's would help.

Maybe an option in the set up sreen = R&D (Classic/Historical) would be solution to suit everybody.

-------------------

Yesterday we were undecisive - today we don't know

Research model is fine, the only improvement is JDF2's mod.

What you have to do is let the model take you to where it goes. As Axis you spread some research chits around and see what hits, maybe follow up with more, then develop your strategy around your advances. Build those high tech units, add experience and some support from your allies???

Makes for some unique avenues of approach, sometimes allowing for a diversion from your usual MO.

Allies can do the same to a certain extent, especially USA, as now in WaW, UK and commonwealth can create a decent ground game. Unfortunately Allies don't have as much flexibility as they are having to adjust to Axis actions.

I have adjusted the tech to the following for my fall weiss mod: Only 2 chits max per category; doubled all country's max tech allowance; reduced all chits to 2% each. This slows down the rate of tech advance but increases the number of potential categories that can be invested into.

Usually I just use Blashy's tech model... but even that gives advances a little too rapidly for me, sometimes.