Mods and graphical files

Little S.O.S for testing players : if somebody has the game for testing it, it woul be nice to just send me the bitmap files of units and terrain :
Nope. One word: NDA.

I mentioned something a while back but I'll mention it again. While all the SC2 bitmap files are easily editable, be forewarned that there are quite a few of them. And Fernando has really done a very good job! Players should try the game for a while as is and learn to appreciate the new features and effects. If you still want to mod things, then be prepared to do a lot of work. In addition to all the different unit sprites for various tech levels for each country, there are also desert and snow decals. Ditto for the terrain effects, for all the different tile shapes and there are about a hundred of them!

I expect folks will eventually produce some outstanding mods, but it's going to take a while!

No problem for the time !

I am a serial obsessionnal modmaker :D and SC1

( and now SC2) is now my only game : I have waited for that sort of game during 10 yers !

I will do the job ! tongue.gif

Agent Smith: Thanks for the links, I will explore the counters of these wargames.

No problem for the time !

I am a serial obsessionnal modmaker :D and SC1 ( and now SC2) is now my only game : I have waited for that sort of game during 10 yers !

I will do the job ! tongue.gif

First day of Spring!

Winter's ice-tent is a thing

Has - folded it's flaps, and went!

Looking forward, fantomas, to seeing

What kind of acey-deucey sprites you can do! :cool:

My word, this is like a balmy brisk breeze

Clattering 'midst the leaves

Of sur mer Palm trees.

palm%20trees.jpg

In being?

Dare we throw them blanched

Desert coyote bones

And... wish it?

An SC Cat that's got!

Esprit de Corps,

Joie de Vivre,

And,

Seems be

Really, one of those is

So very, VERY hard to find

These days, an... Esprit Fort besides!

How can you beat that?

A cricket stick won't do, no way Nix, but

Perhaps - a hickory baseball bat?

[... all 'at French jazz-bo stuck in there cuz

if it weren't for them ancien Continental Cats, why, there'd BE NO.. a'times democratic "America," ah, LOL, how awful quick! We elect! To forget! ;) ]

(by pzgndr) And Fernando has really done a very good job! Players should try the game for a while as is and learn to appreciate the new features and effects.
The problem with the graphics as I see it is that they sacrifice ease-of-reading for what I see as superficial chrome. I can - somewhat - understand why this is done but to me it degrades the playing experience. The graphics of SC1 were near perfect for me in their simplicity. I don't need to see snow on the counters in order to know that it's a winter turn or an Eiffel Tower in a hex...eh, tile..in order to know it's Paris. I know some players feel that things like these add to the flavor of the game and though I flatly disagree I obviously respect this. But fantomas' ideas about modding the counters to something more in the traditianl vein have moved the game from problably-not buy to probably-buy in my book.

I do understand your view RobRas ...and therefore do not disagree with it.

However...i have had a Paradigm shift regarding this matter...and am now really in-favour of 3-D isometric's & Superficial Chrome Graphic's.

For me it took some personal orientation to make the change...but now, i feel better for having done so!.

It's not that i cannot accept the regular icon's anymore...it's just i now prefer the 3-D look and isometric's...unless after when i have the game and find that it is a problem.

From what i have seen so far in the screenshot's...there should be a 'slim to none chance of a problem'... to play the game effectively!.

PARADIGM: http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~khanhvo/paradigm.htm

[ALREADY POSTED IN...'Dedicated Site for Mods and Scenarios???']

Im sure that many will want to use their own Unit & Terrain Graphic's in games...

...Soooooo...maybey someone can devise an Associater of some type,...so that the Right Graphics Modules can be Auto-Loaded for Campaign's/Scenario's Etc...so that we don't have to figure out through Trial-&-Error and try to Guess or find the correct Graphic's for those games!.

----------------

OR!!!...have the choice where-ever possible to use the Graphic's that come with the game!.

...Soooooo...maybey someone can devise an Associater of some type,...so that the Right Graphics Modules can be Auto-Loaded for Campaign's/Scenario's Etc...
Already done, sort of. There's a localization.txt file associated with each campaign that allows you to customize bitmaps, interface and/or sound files. You create new directories in your custom campaign directory and place your custom files there. You may want to edit only a few files, so these would be part of the custom campaign while all the other default files would be used.

Again, there are a LOT of these files. Not only will it take a lot of time to edit them all, there's also the issue of transferring and storing them. The user community will no doubt find a way to efficiently deal with all this. smile.gif

For those that have the homesickness of Third Reich, Advanced Third Reich and Third Reich-PC, I made a mod " STRATEGIC COMMAND-Third Reich ", with pawns which remind the fabulous game of Avallon-Hill. In this way, they will have the impression to play as in the "old good time" :D

[ April 06, 2006, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: fantomas ]

Originally posted by pzgndr:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> ...Soooooo...maybey someone can devise an Associater of some type,...so that the Right Graphics Modules can be Auto-Loaded for Campaign's/Scenario's Etc...

Already done, sort of. There's a localization.txt file associated with each campaign that allows you to customize bitmaps, interface and/or sound files. You create new directories in your custom campaign directory and place your custom files there. You may want to edit only a few files, so these would be part of the custom campaign while all the other default files would be used.</font>