WaW: surprisingly merciful AI?

Had one of my German armies stumble upon a Russian armored unit (+2 armor technology) camping out in a fortification surrounding Moscow. Surprise attack sent the Army reeling with 8 points damage, leaving it with 1 strength.

Adjacent to the Russian armor was a corps and another armored unit with 9 strength.

Next turn, I'm ready to write off that Army: with 3 full/nearly-full strength units nearby there's not a chance that my mortally-wounded Army will survive.

The Allied turn ends with the Russian corps moving two tiles to the left towards Leningrad, the 9-strength armor reinforcing, and the brutish armored unit responsible for the damage of the previous turn... doing absolutely nothing. Turn ends and no attempt was made to kill off my helpless unit at all.

First chance next turn, I re-up the strength of the unit to 10 and thank the God of War for having mercy on my army.

Any insight to this behavior? The Army's supply was 7 if that matters and there was an artillery unit (+2 motorization; no artillery technology upgrades) behind the wounded Army.

As far as I recall, SC2's AI was pretty good at finishing off isolated units with < 3 strength.

AI is tough but yes it seems to miss some good oppertunities. Three possibilites come to mind.

One is the AI simply missed the oppertunity.

Two the AI was given multiple choices and the choice it made was different then the one I would have made.

Three fog of war didnt allow it see what you are seeing.

gravyface1, difficult to say for sure as I would need to see the turn in question in action to know for sure. Could be a bug but it could have been something else entirely.

If you ever come across a similar situation in the future and have the chance to make a saved game before the AI plays its turn that would be great as I could then see for sure what the AI did and why it did it.

Hubert