I was curious regarding the smallest map size which could be used to create a working scenario...These "pocket games" so to speak (remember The Creature That Ate Sheboygen?) would be a good way to learn how to use the editor before diving into some of the grander ideas that players are planning to create.

Due to the isometric design, the minimum map is 36x18. That fills up a screen. Your actual land map can be smaller, a single island tile if that's all you want. Also, the revised max map size is 256x128. I can't recall why that is now, but Hubert had a reason.

Hi

i have to say that i really dont like the idea of a so limited max map size. Sure, it is better than the small original map but it is still too small.

For example. Wouldnt it be the best game ever if we could create the whole Earth on a divisional level and this cant be done with this new limitations. I would understand if Hubert has his reasons to limit this for the official version but maybe he could give us a patch later on that gives the mod and hardcore community a max map size of 512*512 or something like that.

I am not a programer but in my mind this map size limitation is just one entry in some code line ;)

Fireball

Agent Smith ...thats an interesting tac to take , i had eluded to a similar concept a while back.

Surely, there must be some way to do this. Why-not break down the game turns into sequential MAP operations, and for example...do MAP1 1st , then MAP2 2nd. This could go on for several maps...if a campaign or scenario was setup like that.

This, then would remove any MAP size/area restrictions for Scenario/Mod construction...the sky would be the limit!.

An example of how this could be utilized is for example...say you are attempting to take STALINGRAD...so 1st you assemble all participating forces for that turn,...then have all of those units actually enter the City of STALINGRAD and join existing forces that are engaged in the battle. The city of STALINGRAD could easily use up a 512 X 256 map segemnt.

[ August 15, 2005, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

Originally posted by Victor Reijkersz:

Whats the point of a 512x512 map. If a unit can move like 5 squares a turn, it will take it 100 turns to move from one side to the other!

That's the whole point actually, to make the game more demanding on maneuveurs and give space for counter moves, which you had PLENTY. Which then opens up the game to many different tactics.

Plus you can edit unit movements if you wish. But I would not.

With respect to the map sizes and limitations all of these numbers (as suspected) are for the most part arbitrary.

Very large map sizes in theory would be possible but I found that as you increase the size of the map certain path finding calculations will really slow down the game and so I've come up with the current maximum size. No worries though as we continue to test and even if after the game is released there is a strong demand for larger map sizes I just might be persuaded to make some adjustments.

Either way, while 256x128 does not sound that big you might be surprised just how much map that actually covers ;)

Hubert

Hubert is correct, huge map sizes are a pain the rear. Civilization series found that out in a quick hurry and because of the mapsize has far too many limitations unless you've a supercomputer. I was shocked that a turn based computer game required a gig of ram, better than 2.0 P4 Proccessor and some other goodies in order not to lag during the later stages and the multiple units that appeared on the map. It become extremely slow and cumbersome and almost unplayable and when brought to Multiplayer completely unplayable.