I have just experienced a..."Britain declares war on Norway!".

Then, during that same turn that the announcement was made...the British land 2 Corps to attack the feeble strength-3 Norweigan unit in Oslo! [it probably had no Entrenchment either!_Easy Guaranteed Kill!].

Of-Course, it's nearly impossible not to obliterate it!. SOoooo...my question is,... why is there not at-least 1-turn to make defensive preparations to defend Norway [Oslo]?.

The same goes for 'Iceland', 'Ireland' and so-forth!. These are set-ups to give guaranteed victories/successes to the AI computer opponent!

Side Note!:

When my Italian Unit was defending Tobruk, it would not take on any Replacement's even though the Harbour was intact & up to strength!.

Ive noticed how the Russians even with a badly damaged Harbour and being totally surrounded on land and at sea...seem to have no-problem getting 100% reinforcements anytime they like!,...unlike the Italian Unit at Tobruk who could not/would not take on any reinforcements???.

[ September 24, 2007, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

The Russian Harbour's were so surrounded that no more ships could enter the area!,YET!...that didn't impede Russian Supplies!. At that same time...all land links were cut-off as the said target was fully encircled by ground units!.

I do not know what the harbour rating level was at Tobruk, but put it this way, i was able to Upgrade Units in the Fortification, and perhap's i could have added some replacement's, though...possibly not up to full strength!. Here, however...i was UNABLE to do anything at all!.

As far as surprise attacks go!, ok!...i'll grant you 'that one!'...MAYBEY!. Whenever i declare war on some/any Nation...i never see their units at Strength-3 and also possibly without any Fortification levels!.

I think there may still be some "Bugs" HoIron was really good at reinforcements, and supply. if you were surrounded, you were screwed. That is why "Enveloping" Pincers are nice, once you surround an enemy, they recieve no supply. Then you cut them up and destroy them. That is the purpose of surrounding units, is to make the enemy units weaker, and easier to destroy.

If we cant do that in SC2 and with the add ons, it will be a pain, or take longer to destroy enemy units, and a real pain, to resupply units in the Med.

If USSR harbor and accompanying city is cut off then supply = 5 and efficiency = 50%. You can reinforce to 8 and upgrade as long as there is no enemy unit next adjacent to the deployment.

Think about it, just because you're totally cut off doesn't mean you don't have a stockpile or that absolutely no supply efforts get through.

Can you actually stop all supplies, air, sea and land? Have you as a commander forgotten how to improvise or ration what you have if cut off?

Check the annals of WW2 history, think..... what is smuggling all about?

Now if you want to degrade the enemy position that is surrounded....what can you do? Maybe reduce the tile's efficiency through bombing & bombardment.....sound realistic?

Remember you have to degrade both the city and port and then the reinforcement cycle is drastically reduced, not to mention morale and readiness.

You can surround a unit and cut it of from supply in SC2. An out of supply unit can't be reinforced, its morale drops each turn it is out of supply, and it can't be rebuilt at half price if it is destroyed (as no survivors escaped to form the nucleus of a new unit).

Of course, some players don't focus on cutting off a unit or units from supply before attacking them. They prefer the more costly brute force approach to combat.

In SC2 there are several ways to do this;

a. Bomb the city or port that is supplying the unit(s) so that it can no longer serve as a source of supply.

b. Destroy the HQ unit that is supplying the units and giving them a combat bonus.

c. Use a pincer attack to isolate them from the the nearest source of supply.

In fact, cutting off the Soviet army's supply line is the key to a rapid victory in the East.

Many players overlook this facet of the game.

Well I played the Demo, and the US forces and Brits really smoke you at Normandy. Infantry, the US is better, I see some of the Units as better, those that fought in the earlier campaigns, but most US forces are heavy hitting and wipe out the Germnans in the bocage like they were out in an open field. Some German Units are decent, the two German Aircraft are useless and pointless. And why cant the Germans get more MPP. its not like Berlin is overun, and supplies cant get to the front. Heck the Brits, and US can get max reinforcements deep within new territory as if they had a supply depot right next to them.

sort of mixed feelings about the playability of some scenerios. The Germs can put up a fight, but in the end they lose. like 8 out of 10 times playing the scenario. As for me playing the allies... I win 10 out of 10 games.

Juergen.

Juergen, I think you are referring to the D-Day scenario in the Demo?

If so then your results are pretty much as to be expected, i.e. the Germans were able to put up a good fight but with limited resources relative to the Allies and the set MPPs reflect this for the scenario, i.e. the Allies have a bit more and the Germans a bit less.

Originally posted by Retributar:

I have just experienced a..."Britain declares war on Norway!".

Then, during that same turn that the announcement was made...the British land 2 Corps to attack the feeble strength-3 Norweigan unit in Oslo! [it probably had no Entrenchment either!_Easy Guaranteed Kill!].

Of-Course, it's nearly impossible not to obliterate it!. SOoooo...my question is,... why is there not at-least 1-turn to make defensive preparations to defend Norway [Oslo]?.

The same goes for 'Iceland', 'Ireland' and so-forth!. These are set-ups to give guaranteed victories/successes to the AI computer opponent!

Same thing happened to me , i just thought Tough luck on me not sorting them out sooner.

smile.gif