Flying by the seat of my pants here, but lets look at the numbers on these two basic units

Corps / Army [max tech]

Cost 100/200

Ac Pts 3[5]/2[4]

Sof Att 2[5]/3[6]

Tank At 1[4]/2[5]

Sof Def 1[4]/1[4]

Tank Def 1[4]/1[4]

Air Def 1/1 of all kinds (3)

For twice the cost, and this really shows up when you start adding tech. Armys give back only a limited % more combat power, and no extra defence. I kind of knew this after the game with Jolly.. but it really shows up here. Buying Armys is useless unless you MUST - And even then Armor would be a better bet overall if you can afford the tech.

Armys are.. 15-20% ONLY better then corps (on attack - defence same) yets cost 100% more. Dont buy them!

Patch 1.03 suggestion. Make SA 4 on armys, SD / AD / TD 2 on armys.

[ August 03, 2006, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

Yep, 2 corps cover 2 hexes and cost the same as one army. A few amries in support of tanks to punch throuh and exploit is all that is needed. Crops good for covering up ground maintaining lines and less expensive to operate and transport also.

John keep in mind what a corps and tank unit is in this game. It is not just a division of Inf 'running' along side tanks, it is all their support and equipment that is moving as well and even in modern times keeping the support and equipment moved along with the troops can be a pain, tank units require a lot more support/equipment then Inf units do.

I am playing Blashy's latest mod now, and Army attacks are dropped to 2, and Corps are dropped to 1. I am leaning on keeping Armies at 3 and dropping Corps to 1, and leave the prices the same. You get more firepower for less movement, which is a pretty good trade. This would make corps more of a defense/occupation unit. Combine this change with only being able to put 1 chit in IW/AT at a time, and it becomes very playable.

Scook, my mod will actually be armies at 3 and corps dropped by one.

I'm testing this and it really makes armies worth purchasing.

I tried simply reducing the price but that does not represent their firepower in a historical fashion.

What sucks is that they start out with 3 to 1 in terms of offensive firepower but once corps and armies are at IW3, it is only 50% more firepower.

But 6 to attack vs a corps 4 of defense is still pretty sweet. While a corps who attacks an army at max level is 4 to attack facing a 6 defense. Now armies feell kick ass.

So now armies have a 3 to 1 better attack AND defense from the start while corps have better mobility.

The only reason I buy armies is I run out of cash to purchase Corps.. If is is half the strength of the other, the Army should possess heavy weapons, strong antitank weapons and strong antiair weapons. not only but defend better against coastal bombardment. That would make them worth their weight.

Plus Corps should perform poorly against armies