Dont forget Your Bucket and Spade

Having played a couple of full campaigns with the 02 patch, I thought it useful to give some feedback. First of all congratulations to Hubert, with the second patch the Allied AI presents some great surprises and adds greatly to the playability of the game. For example:

Allied invasion of northern Germany in early 1943 caught me off guard and I had some difficulty in recapturing Hamburg.

Subsequent invasion and successful liberation of Norway by the allied AI as a result of me vacating Oslo - to assist in the recapturing of Hamburg - was a great follow through.

However, a few niggles remain. For example:

D Day still remains a timid affair. I am yet to see more than 5 units participate and still no sign of an HQ Unit.

In the current game, five US land units and two Air units have landed within striking distance of Algiers. However, the attack on Algiers is only conducted by the air units and only one of the land units, whilst the other four are doing nothing; no movement ; no attacking. As a consequence, my Vici Unit is easily keeing the US forces at bay. I guess this may explain why D Day was such a timid affair; as a significant proportion of US Units was tied up in North Africa enjoying the warm weather and playing on the beach....

Also, having withdrawn a significant number of my units from Russia to cope with Hamburg; Normandy and Norway, I was expecting an eastern storm. However, the Russian (sorry Soviet)attacks on my remaining forces were at best a half hearted affair. So much so that my few remaining forces were able to hold off the Soviet troops.

Hopefully these few niggles can be fixed in a future patch.

Gee, am I suppose to land in Normandy with 2-Armies, 3-Corps, no armor, no tech, and 1-HQ? Repeat, neither SC/SC2 care about the USA. Everything is about the Germans, German diplo, German tanks, German leaders, German this, German that.

Whatever, real life was/is a different story.

-Captain Jon J. Rambo, USA

What on earth are you talking about?

By the time of D-Day I have plenty of troops and I'm usually just looking for something to blow all the cash on. Heavy Bomber 4? Heavy Tank 3? Put three more chits in for Industrial 5 just for sh*ts & giggles?

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Gee, am I suppose to land in Normandy with 2-Armies, 3-Corps, no armor, no tech, and 1-HQ? Repeat, neither SC/SC2 care about the USA. Everything is about the Germans, German diplo, German tanks, German leaders, German this, German that.

Whatever, real life was/is a different story.

-Captain Jon J. Rambo, USA

If that is ALL you can land with on DDay as USA, then you're a horrible Allied player and have no clue what to do with USA. I can almost kick Germanies but alone with USA on the Western front.

When I play with the Allied, I simply don't bother with the US, lol : I just use their money to tranfer it to the UK and to garrison Norway, but that's it.

In WWII the US liberated France and the Benelux but the Russians got to Berlin first. In the game Germany is dead when Berlin falls, so why even bother with France ?

Theoretically, you could use the US to draw some Germans troops to France, so that the Russians have it easier.

But I don't use the US for that, I use the UK. I always take Essen with the UK : I land the African HQ & tank plus three armies and a corps there. That keeps 3-4 top Germans troops busy. Once I could even break out with the tank and take Berlin by surprise : it was undefended.

Next game I'll buy UK paratroopers and land them too, perhaps they can take Munich and make the Germans surrender, lol.

Why bother with France? Because you can take Brest easily by 1941 and Bordeaux as well most of the time.

If the Axis try to remove you, good, less troops in Russia and if those troops do not have air support, they are toast.

Seeing as this patch started as feedback on the 1.02 AI, I'd like to get back on topic. One of the issues with AI scripting the is the inability to control force allocation. It would be nice if the planning scripts included the ability to specify the types of units that must be included to successfully meet the requirements. Such as 1HQ, 2 Corps, 1 Tank for an invasion planning script that calls for a minimum total number of 7 units. Thus, we AI would still vary the forces, but always have a resaonable force pool.