Weapons and Warfare Demo Released!!!!

We ABSOLUTELY have to have a larger map. Its way too crowded now with all of the extra units that can be purchased.

Hubert, have you looked at the scale of the map for Commander: Europe at War? Its fabulous. (About the only thing about that game that is)

Modders may try and expand the map (reduce the scale) but the scripting would be a nightmare to update for most modders.

It needs to be a Battlefront project.

Research is better in CEAW, and surface ships can hit convoys...oil, manpower and shock all have potential despite less than perfect implementation, oh and it has had tactical bombers for a few months now.....and of course it has hexes.... ;)

IMO it's a shame Hubert has gone even further down the Panzer General road with stuff like AA units, AT units, special forces and various other odds and ends.........they're out of scale for teh game and the "need" to include them merely points out the shortcomings of the systems used.

WAW is better than SC2, but not by a lot, and it's still miles short of what a good WW2 game at this scale should be IMO.

[ October 23, 2007, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Stalin's Organist ]

I really think that with a map using the entire size available in the editor (four times the current Fall Weiss map) this game would be PERFECT! Gotta have it!!!!!

Oil is a nice option in CEAW as is the ability to have commanders as add-ons to units instead of separate units but CEAW missed the boat on historical moddability and the non-random war entry SUCKS!

Diplomacy is a good option, but again I think it's not properly done in SC2 - "real world" concerns that were the major factors are simply not considered (eg the need for Germany to supply almost all of Spain's oil if it joined the war - or even if Germany invaded it)

modability is not something that I care about one way or another.....I'm a bit of a grog, and if the original game isn't any good then mods are not likely to get me back to it anyway.

Modders may try and expand the map (reduce the scale) but the scripting would be a nightmare to update for most modders.
Honch, one mod is already done and ready to go. I will be posting my Advanced Third Reich mod after SC2-WaW is released. ;)

Originally posted by Honch:

We ABSOLUTELY have to have a larger map. Its way too crowded now with all of the extra units that can be purchased.

Hubert, have you looked at the scale of the map for Commander: Europe at War? Its fabulous. (About the only thing about that game that is)

It needs to be a Battlefront project.

Actually it does not get more crowded because the MPPs are pretty much the same. You just have to make choices on what you need or which tactic you intend to use and by the units accordingly.

I appreciate that Blashy but I am sooooo excited about the new expansion (and editor) that I am just saying that SC2 could easily be the best WW2 strategic game ever made if it had a division/corps size map like CEAW. The current SC2 WAW scale is still army size, not even corps size.

pzgndr hints at a smaller scale map that he is working on (sounds great) but I doubt that he is going to bother trying to update the AI scripts with all of the new locations.
Hints? Working on?? I posted two bloody AARs with screenshots down below! This thing is DONE, you can stick a fork in it. Event scripts are all updated and lots of new ones added. Complete Axis and Allied AI scripting is done, playtested, and ready for players to try out. I bothered, believe me, I bothered to update, yessiree. Ye of little faith... tongue.gif

The map is essentially the same map used in the current SC2 version of this mod, posted at CMMODS.COM, but with several updates for minor cities and text. It is NOT simply an expansion of the default SC2 campaign map, but rather a faithful adaptation of the original A3R mapboard.

I will say this about the smaller scale. While it does allow a better operational feel to the game, to does take longer to play. Lots more units, lots more to do, etc. That's good and bad, depending on your preferences for such things. ;)

Thanks Hubert. He has done a great job and it looks closer to what I am hoping for in scale. I must have missed his posts regarding this MOD. Looks awesome Bill. Thanks.

I would like to use your map to make my own MOD. Is it all ready for the WAW expansion?

The AI scripting must have been time consuming!

I would like to use your map to make my own MOD. Is it all ready for the WAW expansion?

All ready for SC2-WaW. Download will include a snazzy pdf Design Notes document. I would encourage folks to further customize what I have done, as well as mod the default game and create your own new games from scratch.

My goal was to make a faithful adaptation of the old board game, at least as far as map and OOBs go. So you'll note there are no roads or railroads and most of the map is clear terrain where in several places some more forests and hills could be added. Research is limited. Other modders are free to make changes and see how it goes.

The AI scripting must have been time consuming!
I've been at this campaign for about a year now, completing the SC2 version at the beginning of the year and then working on the WaW conversion. I guess it was around June when Hubert implemented the AI-vs-AI feature which greatly improved our ability to playtest games overnight and verify how scripts were working. This is a wonderful new feature! Needless to say, it sped things along nicely. smile.gif

I just fiddled around a bit with the the full expansion - it´s REALLY great. Indeed the only letdown is the map, which I hoped to be much more improved. Sadly, the European mainland is the same as it used to be: too small and with that strangely contorted middle European geography.

Edit: I just saw the map for pzgndr´s mod and was completely awed.