Computer Playing Time is LONG

I played the D-Day scenario and it literally took 15-20 minutes for the computer to make the first turn moves. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to speed this up? Is my computer too slow or something?

I notice quite a lag when I click on a unit before I get the reticule and the options.

I'd be interested to know more about this topic or if anyone else has had a similar problem.

That does seem a little long. My AI turns only lasted a few minutes. I didn't time it, but I'd say no more than 5 minutes. Just curious, what's your computer specs (processor, ram, video card and operating system)? Just a friendly suggestion, make sure you have your video and sound card updated with the latest drivers.

[ April 11, 2006, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: saur_kraut ]

Pathfinding can indeed be a problem if there is an incorrect implementation or a bug etc., but off hand if this was the case it would be more of a universal problem and not isolated to a single computer so my guess is still possibly the video card needs to be reset (via reboot) and/or updated with the latest drivers.

A reboot and/or an update of drivers can quickly confirm or deny this however.

OK - This is my work computer so I don't know a LOT about it, but here goes:

It has a Pentium 4 processor - 1.80

I don't know how much memory - I can't find where that's listed on the control panel and when I go hunting, I start getting into areas where I know I could really screw things up if I accidentally reset something, if you get my drift.

The display says it has 128 Rage.

This is a Dell optiplex GX240.

I think I could re-install a driver or whatever, I have that much skill.

Hope this helps.

ALSO -

I'm buying a new computer in the next week or so for HOME. Are the minimums listed on the website just minimums, or is there an OPTIMUM?

Any advice would be appreciated.

how do you spot that the memory is not freed by the card? Can be of interest to me, I have a user, err friend who tells me that a particular game use 800 mb of memory where everybody else has the normal usage of 300.

but I'm perhaps hacking the thread...

No worry about "hacking"- any info at all about optimization of the computer for playing the game is more than welcome.

Also - what do you mean by "reboot"? Shutting down and turning back on again? I do that almost every day.

Actually, the speed thing wouldn't be that big of a deal if I could just "minimize" the game while the computer turn was going so I could do something else while that was happening, AND so I could easily *ahem* hide *ahem* the game when necessary.

[ April 12, 2006, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Jim Mason ]

If you reboot everyday then I am not sure. It could just be that the card needs a new/updated driver or you need to install the latest DirectX.

For video card I've seen this happen for example on my a stock computer (similar to Dell) where the video driver needed to be updated as the default was not optimized and brutally slow straight out of the box.

As for the minimums that is simply what they are in order for the game to run well... essentially anything more than the minimums and it should be smooth sailing.