How to create an entertaining game against the AI

Settings: Maximum... 100%/+2

After playing a couple of times against the Allied AI in the past month, I tried the Axis AI version 1.02. Basically if you can stop the Wehrmacht before they reach Moscow the game is almost decided.. the AI cannot take Leningrad if you reinforce it every turn, and if you once stopped the Wehrmacht, it never gets pace again. If the western Allies start to scratch on France and Italy, the game is almost decided...

But on the last weekend I found an interesting alternative by chance: I forgot to reinforce Leningrad once and they took it.... this frees a lot of units for a deeper advance into eastern Russia. In 43 the Germans reached the Ural just west of Sverdlovsk.. but I was able to stop them there. In the south they took Rostov, but I had a closed line of fortifications from Stalingrad to Maikop.. they didn`t get through it and lost a few units, because they were not fully reinforced and poorly supplied. So I was holding a line in the east with Germany occupying 80% of Russia... but having the Caucasus Russia had like 300MPP. In the south I took whole northern Africa. Invading Vichy France with a British Army group (HQ, 2 armies, 1 corps, 1 tank group) succeeded but brought Spain in the war... so the american troops I just landed in western France had to be redirected to Spain. That was a really entertaining episode... the spanish units were floating into southern France just to butchered by 3/3/2 american and english infantry. I took Spain with american troops and just wanted to establish a base in Vichy France, but there comes a massive onslaught of german troops redirected from Russia.. they killed my whole british Army group in Vichy France and threw the american out of Madrid. I was able to establish a defense line between Madrid and Gibraltar.. and it took me years to take Madrid back. The remainders of the british E.F. were taken to UK and refitted... I took Norway and Denmark with them. In 46 (yeah that late) I was able to threw the germans out of Northern spain (trapped a few tank groups there which were lost forever) and build a second british army group and took Paris back. In the East the lack of most german troops enabled me to take back Rostov, Voronezh, Kharkov and Moskow.. this trapped a large german group east of Moscow. I drained them out of supply and killed them one by one.. by that time the game was decided. As the game ended in May 47 I reached the german/russian border south of Riga... in the west I controlled almost all France. As the game ended I was able to see all german units... in the last turn the AI tried some kind of "Battle of the Bulge" and threw everything against my troops in France... killed 2 corps and one american tank group, but there were absolutely no troops in the east (except garrisons), so the game would have lasted another year or so.

Of course it isn`t like playing HvH, but this was by far the most entertaining game against the AI I had since years... usually there is one big battle in the russian plains, and if you win it, the games is decided. But this game was a bit like reality.... I took Spain, I lost spain, I sat in front of the PC getting anxious with every russian city I lost... this game was very tight until I trapped the german army group in northern spain in may 46 so the AI had to take troops from the east, and the german frontline there collapsed.

A few things I noticed during this game:

(1) If the game tends to be long, IT and PT level 5 a necessary for Russia and US... I had like 850 MPP over years, and I needed them. This was simply a war of numbers.

(2) US Bombers 5/5 rocks... kills a german city in one turn with almost no losses. Very good before you attack it with ground forces... it cannot reinforce.

Anyway... that was very good fun.

Two quick things in the editor can make the AI even better. Decrease by half the cost of tech for the AI and double the % chance for each diplomancy chit.

I'll also be trying some of the AI mods soon.

The key is not to take advantage of its obvious errors.

I always let it take Leningrad after a few turns and the sevastapol port and other issues like that. When you see it is too obvious just don't pounce on the error, let it have it (Like a DoW on Norway with no enough troops...)

Always use the hardest settings.

If you want an intresting game, try this : try to hold France until Russia joins...

I managed to do it several times now, it takes some trying, but once you know how, it can be done.

Key elements are

- using the British troops from Egypt of course

- take Denmark so the German airplanes use their force to attack you there

- mix British and French troops in the frontline, so you can use both countries MPPs to keep them repaired.

- change the armies on the Maginot into corps so they cost less to repair (especially the eastern one gets alot of hits)

- use your ships against troops and again to draw fire from the air.

The last time I did it, I managed to keep France the entire game...

Originally posted by TaoJah:

If you want an intresting game, try this : try to hold France until Russia joins...

I managed to do it several times now, it takes some trying, but once you know how, it can be done.

Key elements are

- using the British troops from Egypt of course

- take Denmark so the German airplanes use their force to attack you there

- mix British and French troops in the frontline, so you can use both countries MPPs to keep them repaired.

- change the armies on the Maginot into corps so they cost less to repair (especially the eastern one gets alot of hits)

- use your ships against troops and again to draw fire from the air.

The last time I did it, I managed to keep France the entire game...

Have you tried this vs. the new Axis AI mod?

Probably would be roughly the same in France. My AI mod only works on the strategic level. On a scale as small as France scripts do not have much control.

But the drawbacks would probably outweigh the benefits. Not the least to mention the early destruction of the brit army and the loss of Africa.

Also, sending those corps from the med to replace the Maginot line means Italy joins earlier, so it's a trade-off.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

Probably would be roughly the same in France. My AI mod only works on the strategic level. On a scale as small as France scripts do not have much control.

But the drawbacks would probably outweigh the benefits. Not the least to mention the early destruction of the brit army and the loss of Africa.

Also, sending those corps from the med to replace the Maginot line means Italy joins earlier, so it's a trade-off.

But he is talking about holding France for two years. I'd imagine that your AI mod researches, purchases, and Diplomacies(nice word) better than usual, all making the Axis stronger in that time, thus virtually impossible for the Allies to hold France.

By the way, what Script do you give to Italy when they first enter the war? I'd imagine it depends on the current status of the war. Helping Germany break through France in this instance would be a wise idea.

ND, do you have control in the scripts of what you want air attacks to be directed at? Such as checking the date, if its Dec. 1941 or earlier then assist the German army in the capture of France?

No there is zero control of what the air units target, where they go, or anything they do for that matter. It would solve a lot of problems if I did.

As for Italy, currently they do not assist much in the attack on France. Just 1-2 units.