AAR, Terif Axis vs Jollyguy Allies

Okay, took a month off SC2, but reading Terif’s AAR about his bomber strategy got my gaming juicing flowing again. So, Terif is Axis, me Allies.

Early game was normal, except that I got probably the best weather luck I’ve ever had in France, with mud and snow combining to delay the Wehrmacht’s conquest of the Frenchies until May, 1941. Keep in mind as an Allied player delay is the strategic imperative. I.e., at one point the Frenchies could have finished off a German corp but instead moved to protect Paris. This is because upsetting the Axis timetable is much more productive and yields significant mpp effects later due to fewer Axis resource hexes under their control, which has a multiplicative effect down the road. During this time I took Norway, and by the time France fell I had Brest and the other French city garrisoned, and my Egyptian HQ in place to support my fighter. The Axis got bad diplomacy luck but finally tipped off the Spanish strategy when a chit hit. Meanwhile, I had kept my Egyptian tank and army floating until I was fairly sure what Terif was up to, and moved my navy around Brest. As to Brest, many times Terif will simply pound Brest with air and then occupy with a sole corp, which he tried. But this time I kept a reserve corp in Manchester, and when he attacked I shuttled the damaged Brest corp out and transported in a fresh one. This, and my fighter cover, forced him to commit land units, which the RN then bombarded.

The next phase was Spain, which he dow’ed late due to the delayed conquest of France and Battle of Brest. I moved an English corp into the Northern Spanish city, and eventually operated the Gibralter corp to Madrid. Meanwhile, he advanced on Casablanca, where the RAF & pre-positioned RN BB’s and LR 1 carriers exacted some damage on an exposed HQ, and he had to backup. I committed my Egyptian units and supported them with my HQ, which had shipped back out from England. Since Spain was attacked late weather set in, and I was able to hold a bit longer and bombard a few land units, as the Axis knew time was of the essence and they had to move into exposed hexes. And it was around this time that the single chit I tossed King Gustav’s way at the beginning of the game hit, and the Swedish ore shipments stopped. As the Battle of Spain developed Terif swung north and got my British corp in the northern city, and I debated sacrificing my English corp in Madrid, but they received a temporary reprieve and operated back to Gibralter before the advancing Axis closed the last escape route. Again, because his timetable was off, I was able to hold the two Spanish, African cities, not to mention Egypt, until the spring of 1941, swinging the mpps to me and denying them to him. During this campaign the RAF attacked an exposed corp in Africa whenever possible to draw Luftwaffe fire, and attrit the German war machine. But the time came to end the African campaign, as he started raiding my convoys. I was fearful of a famous Terif (naval) trap as the Italian navy was massing, and he had also tipped that he placed a German BB and cruiser in the Med. The Brits, with their delaying job done, departed for the Home Islands under cover of night. A couple turns later the Axis discovered empty cities.

The next phase was revealing my second British bomber, with the now dual bomber contingent having enough time before Barbarossa to bomb both the German and French mines and Brussels. And then Barbarossa, with a Terif surprise…he attacked Turkey, which fell in two turns. His bombers reduced the left and right Turkish cities so I couldn’t operate in reinforcements. At the same time he hit Sweden, which is when the Battle of Norway, still ongoing, began.

In the Battle of Norway he moved toward Oslo, but I was waiting. He also left the Danish port ungarrisoned while his navy finished off the Russians Baltic fleet, so I hit it with both bombers, and one BB cleared the way for the entire RN, which I had moved into that theatre just in case. I flooded the Baltic with naval units. I bombarded a Luftwaffe fighter on the Swedish coast several times and bottled up ships and reduced Stockholm. His Swedish landing force, now repaired and with high morale from the earlier conquests, moved toward Oslo and he got the better in the land battle, over several turns taking out a bomber, an army, and three corps, at the cost of one Wehrmacht army. He also operated in two Luftwaffe fighters and a bomber and his Italian bomber around Denmark. But it’s October, 1941 and the Germans just pulled back form Olso, so it should hold into 1942. Meanwhile, in the Baltic, I should sink most of his navy, and the Finns, wary of all the fighting around them, have not joined yet. All this action out west of course relieves pressure on Uncle Joe, where the only action to speak of so far is squaring off against the Germans in the Caucuss mountains, with the Russians still holding all but the two forward cites. But the Battle of the Caucusses is beginning to tell, as the Russians suffered their first lost corp from repeated air and land attacks, and with Turkey under his belt and a land connection to Berlin, the Axis African/Middle East mpps and supply will increase.

As usual, an interesting game, and we’ll see what 1942 brings. The latter game has always been Terif’s advantage, so I’ll see if I can improvise a bit better and last a bit longer this time.

Bob

Nice write up Jolly. Sounds like you've adopted some Yodl moves...could this be the upset the world is waiting for? It certainly hasn't been me in SC-2. Longer the game goes for Jolly w/o getting headcracked, the better. On the otherhand, sounds like the British have fought all over the world, meaning not alot of punch for France later. Germans having Middle East via Turkey is absolutely huge.

Terif slightly ahead, he'll now manipulate the position for further attacks in late '42 in Russia.

Yep, this was and will be a very interesting game like all the last games vs Jollyguy smile.gif . At the moment I would say he should be able to beat any other player regularly – even Rambo and Liam that I also play very often would probably have no chance against him smile.gif – at least if he can adapt to their naval superiority strategies they usually follow. Against me he uses his fleet very aggressively without caring much about losses since he knows I seldomly go for naval dominance with my Axis...a strategy Allies can´t afford against a player like e.g. Rambo... :D .

Key to victory in SC2 is to adapt to the enemy strategy which Jollyguy has learned to do and also how to use combined arms – coordinating the air and naval arm to support the ground forces and so enabling them to be victorious even against numerically superior enemies.

Here in this game Jollyguy fought for every inch of the map. He especially likes to defend Africa heavily and so he did here – landing HQ, tank, army, corps and airfleets at Cassablanca... which forced Germany already in June 1940 to send 2 HQs with their task forces to clear the desert while a third task force conquered Spain. German diplomats got bribed by the Allies and so successes in Romania and Hungary came late, they didn´t join before September 1940 while Sweden already stopped its convois August 1940.

Due to this affront, Germany decided to take the ore from Sweden that is rightfully his by force – sending with Barbarossa a task force to secure the area.

Meanwhile Rommels Afrika Korps had been forced by the persistent allied resistance to be blown out of proportions and now half of the german Wehrmacht was positioned in the desert after the successful african campaign. Therefore Rommel decided not to transport back to mainland Europe, but to march directly into the industrial heart of Russia in Caucasus by declaring war to Turkey. And so with Barbarossa (August 17th, 1941) came the double strike in Scandinavia and Middle East smile.gif .

We are now in November 1941 and the allied focal point is clearly Scandinavia....when german forces approached Oslo, the largest battle of the war began in front of the city:

On the allied side 3 airfleets, 3 bombers, 3 carriers, tank, 2 armies, 6 corps...and the entire Royal Navy broke into the Baltic with exactly 10 battleship and cruiser fleets, bombarding and laying curtain fire along the whole scandinavian and german coast. Germany only with HQ, 1 airfleet, 2 armies and 2 corps in Sweden...Allies far superior in material, but the german forces battle hardened, experienced and highly motivated, using the terrain to their advantage smile.gif ...so UK and USA lost more than 4 times the mpps than Germany in this first battle....and now german reinforcements from Turkey arrived at Denmark and around the northern german coast.

In Russia there were only light skirmishes so far – with one russian corps that was scouting south of Leningrad destroyed. Riga and Minsk conquered. No activities in southwest Russia since Axis forces are busy elsewhere – so the russian defenders of Kharkov and the mines have to shorten the time with pillaging and torturing the poor souls of the civilians they ought to protect...

But the battle of Caucasus has just begun, with german battleships opening fire against the russian defenders standing next to the Black Sea.

The german forces in Scandinavia retreated back towards Oslo for repairs and upgrading...they were still fighing the battle of Oslo with obsolete weapons (IW 2, AT 1)...the modernest weapons when they started their trip accross the sea to Sweden, but meanwhile belonging into museums...especially since Russia was already fighting from the beginning of Barbarossa with the most modern Infantry Weapons.

In the Baltic Royal Navy eventually has been trapped there with the closing of the entrance via Kopenhagen port...now defended by a german cruiser fleet...while axis bombers and battleships decimate the 10 entrapped allied fleets that are now cut off from supply and repair possibilities...going down ship by ship, beeing helpless against the axis coastal batteries, bombers and battleships pounding them from every side...

[ July 23, 2007, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

So far tech is even smile.gif :

UK and Germany in Scandinavia were both fighting with Infantry Weapons level 2 against each other. In Russia both sides have IW 3 now that Germany catched up, Russia also Motorization 1. Only in Anti-Tank Russia is a bit behind, but since Germany has built no tanks and has also no tank tech this doesn´t really matter :D .

In the air all sides (USA unknown) have shown equal tech so far also: UK, Russia and Germany at Jet 1, UK + Germany LR 1.

Facts are facts. I've played JollyGuy 5 times. First two games I wiped him off the map with the Germans. He tried that Egypt stuff with me...well, I gave him SeaLion. The Germans laughed all the way to the English banks.. Next game, I went standard Legend, another win.

I heard how tough he was, but didn't see it? Next game I got lazy based on early victories, he got a sneaky late Diplo pop on Spain, bummed me out, he won that game.

Game #4, I had Tanks+5, but was stupid enough to get bogged down in Turkey with them, my fault, a loss. I was just trying something new.

Game #5 was even, we declared a draw due to summer coming & time.

Rambo vs JollyGuy 2 wins, 2 losses, 1 draw.

Those are facts, I've been trying to get this guy on the battlefield again.

Far as styles....JollyGuy is a good Allied player, he reminds me of DragonHeart. Another wannabee Clone of Yodl. He plays conservative with his MMPs, agressive with certain areas of the board, and is a long term player.

My whacky attempts against Yodl have been fruitless, but I do enjoy breaking the rest of you.

Far as Liam, give me a break. I own that dude in both SC & SC2. He is a good player, I win 75% of games against him.

I haven't played sc2 in quite a long time now...new stars rising, i like that smile.gif

@Jolly -> perhaps we can find some time to play a game? You're not as good as Yoda, yet...you do mistakes, I do mistakes...games between ppl who do mistakes from time to time, should be fun smile.gif

The war continues...

...and gets hot in Scandinavia in December 1941 with the Declaration of War by Russia against Finland... russian amphibious forces land around Helsinki to assassinate Mannerheim in his HQ. Russian ground troops enter the country from the border in the northeast.

Germany decides without hesitation to send forces for relief. Since the finish port is cut off by Royal Navy ships, the swedish expedition forces get their marching orders and operate in to save their ally. As replacement 4 corps from Königsberg transport to Sweden.

To gather the necessary troops for the finish expedition, Russia obviously used the defenders of the russian mines and Odessa, so this area is now more or less undefended – which is immediately used by light axis forces to conquer Odessa and Kiev before they spot several russian armies behind Dnjeper and go into defensive mode.

In the caucasian winter war russian forces take heavy casualties against the combined arms assault of Axis...with the start of the finish war russian forces abandon Tblisi and operate away to make it seem as if they would be sent to Finland...only to prepare an ambush in the next city Grozny.

But this time the russians stay too long and so in April 1942 Voroshilov HQ north of Grozny and an airfleet north of Maikop oilfield that already had been conquered 2 months ago get overrun by german armies and tanks...russian general staff and lots of russian aircrafts captured smile.gif . The survivors flee in panic, stampeding down a german army and corps south of Stalingrad from behind, so they get killed by accident...german forces take revenge, destroying all 3 russian oilfields, 2 cities and several corps before they can run further away.

Meanwhile in Sweden US land forces have landed...the 2 british HQs there finally take courage and give the order to attack fortress Stockholm...after several bomber raids and Royal Navy decimating port and city...so the 4 heroic corps defenders now have to fight not only without HQ support, but also without supply against the overwhelmingly superior enemy forces....even the airsupport from Denmark is redirected to sink an uncautious british carrier while the airfleets at Riga and Helsinki help destroying the russian invaders of Finland...german relief forces were also on the march via Smolensk and south of Leningrad, cutting of the city which is defended by a russian army and paratrooper...but have to retreat back into defence positions after a scouting corps encounters strong motorized siberian forces west of Moskov.

We are now in May 1942 – Axis forces victorious in Caucasus, but under hard pressure in Scandinavia where now the US and russian main forces launch their assault...after loosing already half of their vessels, the last survivors of the locked in Royal Navy limp north towards the swedish port into hiding from the axis bombers...all at zero supply and heavily damaged they pose no threat any more...the seaways are open again in Baltic and Tirpitz battleshipgroup is sent into battle, starting to hunt them down in the icy waters of the north, one by one :D .

Yes, in the Caucusses the Russian generals, against their better judgment, listened to the imploring pleas of citizens, fearful of being brought under the heel of the advancing coalition of German and Italian and even Minor forces. The citizens cried out, “We’re usually not occupied until much later in the war!”

And the next turn the Russian general’s fears were realized, as Axis forces toke advantage of clear weather to punch through and take out a fighter and Army. Stalin, enraged at such poor generalship, demoted his Caucusses general to buck private, and ordered him executed, only to discover that the Germans beat him to it by running him over with a tank, and then raining bombs on his head. The Russians achieve some measure of revenge however when two German units facing north are trampled by hordes of retreating Russians running up their backs from the south, heading for the safety of the riverline.

Meanwhile, the Russian engineer has been busy laying concrete on the northern side of the river, as at least the commander of that unit foresaw that the Axis would be coming eventually.

Leningrad is surrounded, but earlier, Russian forces in a daring Winter attack landed and dispatched Mannerheim to an early grave, only to be greeted by a contingent of German troops operating all the way around the Artic Circle from Sweden. Needless to say the Germans were upset to have been forced to leave behind their Swedish bikini models, and lash out at the Russian marines and land forces. The Russians retreat, but then eventually come back to pick off a stray Finnish corp, as Siberian T-34s move out from Moscow in an attempt to relieve the brave denizens of Leningrad.

Meanwhile, out West, the combined US/British force continue their quest to get some of those bikini models for themselves, and advance to the outskirts of Stockholm. The GI’s are assured that the models are there and waiting, from aerial photos of the city dropped as a moral booster by Allied bombers headed back to base after bombing runs over the city and port. The photos depict topless models exhibiting their wares in hopes that the air crews won’t bomb them, which of course the bomber crews don’t as their too busy gawking and waving back. And offshore the British Baltic Fleet is so low on supply that there isn’t even grog to distribute to the brave sailors to warm them in the frigid waters of the North Baltic, as they hide in fear of the German BB which has been reinforced several times by the Axis, after each surprise contact by British BB’s when they had more supply earlier in the incursion.

Okay, another great game. This is the second game in a row that I’ve lingered too long on a Russian front and Terif made me pay for it, so I’ll correct that next game. In the meantime my education of mid-game strategy continues. The mid-game is very important for the Allies, as if they can get over that hump they have a better chance of wearing the Axis down. Fighting for every inch is a good thing to do in general the first couple years, but Terif’s experience shows during the mid-game in that he knows when to hold them and when to fold them, when to stand, and when to retreat strategically. The Russians have ground to give, so, just like history showed, I need to learn to better trade some of that ground for time.

Bob

Update: Allies never get to see Swedish bikini models in person, as two German paratroopers rescue their beleguered Nordic brothers. Allies fall back to Oslo, and currently only hold the mine port. Backpeddling, the Allies capture the northern port and Swedish mines, providing much needed supply to the RN's Baltic fleet. And as to the Baltic Fleet, they did eventually sink both german subs and one cruiser, in addition to forcing a German BB to reinforce several times, something Terif usually doesn't do. But alas, all the RN Baltic fleet now litters the bottom of the sea.

The combined Allied command also acquisced to Stalin's pleas, and left enough tempting targets in Sweden to draw Axis forces away from the Motherland. So a British army and tank are sacrificed for the war effort. All other Allied units eventually board ships and float to the Home Islands.

The Caucusses continue to be bloody. After Uncle Joe commits the bulk of his reserves to a relief of Leningrad, the Axis advances from Grozny and dashes across the riverline. Zhukov, sensing the opportunity to redeem the stature of Russian generals after poor command decisions earlier in that theatre, and knowing a chunk of Axis forces are still committed in Scandanavia, convinces Uncle Joe to leave the Leningraders to their own fate and operate everything to the Caucusses. He is rewarded for his bold suggestion by enveloping and eventually destroying the entire Axis Caucusses land force, consisting of two super experienced level 0 tanks, two armies, and several corps. Grozny and one mine are liberated before the tide switches back to the Axis as they operate in fresh troops. The Russians retreat back to the riverline, having lost an army, several corps, and a tank, but having bought valuable time. The Russians also pull off a raid and liberate Kiev, but then pull back toward the mines before getting enveloped. The Leningraders hold out, but probably not for much longer.

Out West the Axis subs raid, and sink one US cruiser that happens upon them. In return a German sub is sunk trying to make it back to port. Meanwhile the US reveals heavy bombers 2, as they conduct a bombing raid over Brussels.

It will be September, 1942, when I get my turn back. The Germans now hold almost all of Europe, including Turkey, and the broad center of Russia. The Western Allies will regroup from their Scandanavian venture, with a much reduced RN but nearly full strength USN, and Stalin will continue to recruit fresh troops to greet the German invaders who will be coming in force during 1943.

Bob

Yep, the swedish bikini models were geoglyphs that can only be recognized as coherent figures from the air...drawn into the sand of sweden to lure enemy adventurers on the road of perdition... :D .

German paratrooper elite forces were standing ready to close the trap when the unsuspecting allied prey approached...devastation came from the sky and beaches when german reinforcements including HQ landed and paratroopers under aircover jumped behind enemy lines to decimate allied fighters on the ground. UK army + 2 corps destroyed immediately...soon followed by a US army and an airfleet reduced to strength 2 before it can operate away. A few survivors panic and drive the wrong way north...away from the beaches, away from rescue...and so army and tank get hunted down and killed without supply near the arctic circle...a dispersed russian corps, waving from the other side of the Baltic moves towards a meeting with the british forces – and suffers the same fate.

At Leningrad Russia first operates several units to the city after russian tanks break the siege and even damage Kesselring HQ to strength 6. But german reinforcements from Kiev save the day and throw the attackers back, destroying several of them and closing the ring around Leningrad again. Russia operates away and Axis keep up the momentum...bypassing Leningrad, rocket in Moskov shot down to str 1 and occupied in July 1942...soon after the other 2 russian cities north of Moskov fall to Axis, Archangelsk under siege.

But Russia also was not idle:

German forces in Caucasus, still drunken from their victory in the previous mountain battles follow the retreating russians north, crossing river Don to destroy some damaged russian units and raze a russian fortification. In a bold venture, Russia operates its main forces including the Leningrad task force in the area and in July/August 1942 starts a large scale pincer movement from Rostov and Stalingrad towards Caucasus. The entire german ground forces from army group Caucasus get cut off and eventually destroyed at river Don, including both veteran german tanks from 1939. Following this disaster, Germany orders a retreat of the 3 surviving HQs and 5 airfleets back to Turkey for regrouping and reorganization –and so Grozny and Maikop oilfield fall to the enemy.

When Axis operates substantial reinforcements into Caucaus, Russia decides to abandon the offensive there, retreats in the fortification line behind river Don and starts a new offensive this time in the western part of Russia against Odessa. Kiev changed hands back and forth some weeks before – now several russian armies and paratroopers assault the defending romanian armies at Odessa while german main forces are in northwest Russia between Moskov and Archangelsk.

We are now in September 1942 and the battle of Odessa has just begun...a new german tank group sees its first action in the war....

I'm not sure how many units are KIA, I haven't checked, but it's the usual high bucket-o-blood meter, no doubt.

Terif just got the far better of it in a large battle around Kiev, which means the Russians pull back from the mines, as they almost inevitably do against Terif. So, when you balance that against my victory in the Caucusses, we've both made an untimely advance and got ambushed and had to pay for it. He also had the better exchange of units in Scandanavia, but that bought valuable time and was worth it for the Allies IMO. This all highlights what Terif has said many times, that the advantage in a good game will shift several times.

Meanwhile, out West, the Allies utilize their three bombers in strategic fashion, first hitting Brussels in back-to-back attacks, which seemed normal I’m sure to Goring. Then Paris was reduced, again, maybe Goring thought I was just hitting resource hexes. Then the Allies launch their true combined arms attack, hitting the city below Brest and Marseilles with bombers, totally isolating France from the ability of the Axis to operate units in, which is only garrisoned by low grade minors. The remaining two RN carriers soften up an Italian corp at Brest, along with the US carrier, two RAF fighters, and an US fighter. Brest falls to a US army and paratroop and British corp. But more importantly, two US corps land around the other reduced French city, with their only goal being to destroy three adjacent fortifications that have proven so difficult in prior wars. The next turn the second French city is kept reduced, while the carriers soften up the Italian corp, and a British army lands and reduces it to five. The USN surrounds the port, and also discovers and bottles up an Italian sub in the Spanish city across the bay. The second French city should fall next turn, and we’ll see if I can isolate Spain or not.

Anyway, I would say had I not got a bloody nose in the recent Second Battle of Kiev, that the Allies would have the advantage. But I think Terif has the advantage now. I’ve identified two tendencies I need to correct: The first one is the tendency in Russia to linger too long rather than trading ground for time. The second is going on the offensive when I should sit behind my fortifications and terrain and wait as I build up. I think if I can reign in these inclinations that I’ll have a better chance to make it into 1943 and 1944 with more robust forces, and a better chance to wear the Axis down.

As usual, a good game. I still might be kept waiting on a victory over Terif, but do feel I’m learning the hard way…by making mistakes. But I should also point out that Terif makes mistakes too. He is just good at recovering and adapting to his opponents strategy, and not giving up…which is something else he says people do too often. Remember, he took out a Russian army and HQ and fighter in the first sharp exchange in the Caucusses. Considering the caliber of my opponent some might have thrown in the towel. But like he says, by hanging in there I was able to bloody his nose. And then he mine.

The amazing thing to me is just how balanced SC 2 is. By the Brits keeping engaged with the Axis at every opportunity early in the war to attrit the enemy, Uncle Joe was given breathing room later on. Even considering that Turkey fell, giving the Axis a land bridge to the Middle East, and even after all the losses in Scandanavia, the Allies, since they got most of their units out of Norway except the bait designed to keep the Axis occupied, are still able to build-up and threaten out West.

Bob

Yep, SC2 V1.06 is very good balanced and there are many opportunities to turn around a war that already seems lost...or won – and advantage will shift several times during a long game smile.gif .

Here Allies had the upper hand for a short time in fall 1942 after the complete annihilation of the german Caucasus forces and with western Allies landing in France including cutting of Spain without Axis beeing able to operate reinforcements in. Russia was safe behind its fortification line behind Don against attacks from the east, and had secured its western flank with a well fortified defence line from Sevastopol till Kharkov.

But the russian soldiers were drunken from victory, just like the german ones in Caucasus a few months before...and so they left their secure homes, proudly waving flags and singing war songs when marching west towards Romania to collect the victory they believed would fall into their hands now...

...but with the first enemy wave approaching Odessa, german veterans from the siege of Leningrad and the battle of Moskov had been ordered on a forced march south, and so despite the destroyed infrastructure around Kiev which prevented operating, an entire german tank army with support troops was standing ready at Kiev - well hidden in the swamps – to bring devastation to the russian troops, moving by uncautiously, still their war chants on the lips...giving away their positions from miles away...

...and as the future would show, one single battle decided the fate of the once proud Russia...not so much because there were so many units destroyed, but the strategical impact beeing the crucial factor - Russia only lost half a dozen units when german tanks surprisingly attacked from the unprotected northern flank of the russian approach and rolled up their marching columns from the side. German elite paratroopers closed the bag by jumping deep behind the enemy lines to the mines of Kharkov where only a russian HQ had been left behind to defend the mighty fortification line behind the river. The paratroopers cut all the units around Odessa off from supply and HQ command and place explosive charges at the enemy fortifications to clear the path for Axis main forces later.

As consequence of the ill-advised russian offensive towards Romania, the entire fortification line of Sevastopol-Kharkov fell without a shoot fired when german commando units took them in a cloak-and-dagger operation, including fortress Sevastopol itself...even more important:

With german forces now approaching from Kharkov, Russia also got forced to abandon its fortification line against the east at river Don, before it would have faced encirclement and destruction from behind. And so step by step also Rostov, Stalingrad and Voronezh fell into Axis hands without a shot fired. When german soldiers take a look on the technical marvel of the russian fortifications they occupied without a fight, they get frightened by the idea they would have had to attack those monsterous defence systems and take them by force....countless fortifications from Kharkov-Sevastopol till Rostov-Stalingrad get blown up by german engineers as a precaution in case the russians would return some day to reoccupy their mighty structures...

During the 6 months after the battle of Odessa, Russia was in full retreat – finally with the back to the wall making a stand in the last two cities before the Ural mountains where russian engineers had been busy building new fortifications.

Meanwhile Western Allies were causing trouble in France, conquering both Brest and Bordeaux, destroying the fortification line there which was running from the western french coast till Germany and also bombing all major cities and infrastructure points to oblivion. US corps moved south, cutting of Spain from the rest of the Axis empire before 2 of them could be destroyed so Allies retreated back to Bordeaux when mud set in and their air in England and around Brest was grounded.

This was the time when Axis forces had secured their position in Russia. Stalingrad, Voronezh and Gorky now the bulwarks of freedom against the russian hordes standing east of river Volga.

December 1942....whole Europe covered in snow...finally all enemy air and reconnaissance grounded...and so secretly the german Armed Forces High Command orders the relocation of their main forces from Russia to France...in the dead of night, 6 german Lv 2 tank groups get deployed to Spain and northern Italy from where they move into prepared caverns, dug deep and hidden carefully in the mountain valleys around Marseilles where the enemy couldn´t spot them...3 german elite airfleets sent with them securing a 20 mile radius around the camps, preventing any enemy spy from discovering them.

April 1943: The largest offensive in history begins....involved in this final battle of France on german side: 6 tank groups, 10 armies, 12 corps, 3 airfleets and 3 bombers.

The battle starts with 3 axis bomber squadrons launched from Spain, surprising the enemy lying in their beds at Brest...a few fighter pilots can launch their planes despite rain over the area, but when they arrive in the air the first stage is already over and thousands of bombs destroyed the infrastructure of both Brest city and port, so allied transport capabilities in the area are not existent any more. In the following confusion, O´Connor and Bradley give contradictionary orders, causing chaos amongst the allied troops...their air support gets orders to protect Brest at all cost and neglect like hoped the recconnaissance of axis troop movements in southern and eastern France.

And so unhindered from enemy air which is still grounded by mud and rain, the german main assault forces moving out of their hiding positions at Marseilles - consisting only of tanks and fast motorized corps units - can smash their way through the allied defences around Bordeaux before the enemy can recognize what´s happening to them. City and port get conquered...half a million allied soldiers go into PoW camps, including several high ranked officers from Bradleys staff....

...when the dust settles and the air gets clear, allied reconnaissance planes now discover the whole extend of the german offensive...when they spot the additional 10 german armies approaching via Paris, with their continental forces beeing cutt off from any retreat possibilities, their spirit is broken and immediately they surrender unconditionally to the might of the german Wehrmacht smile.gif .

All this had been initialized by the battle of Odessa – if Russia had not started the offensive, it would still sit more or less safely in its fortification lines behind Dnjeper and Don, keeping Axis main forces busy in Russia. But now it was possible to keep the russian hordes at bay in their self-choosen prison in Ural with only 4 german units ! Russia launched a probe against Gorky, but when spotting 2 german units there, retreated back. Voronezh and Stalingrad were the other 2 pillars of the russian imprisonment.

All in all a very good game and open till shortly before the end – and also shows that even loosing an entire task force with several thousand mpps doesn´t mean the end of the war as long as you continue to fight and do it better in the next battle(s) of the war smile.gif .