Engineering Question:

Pesonally, if i was going to fortify France's beaches, i would do it 1-Square Back, in order to obviate Shore-Bombardment and to let them come onto the beaches and get slaughtered!, especially from Your Missile or Artillery Groups. It's called..."Bring Em On!".

Otherwise those assualt troop's will find somewhere else to land if you fortify the Channel Area/Beach Area!.

Not sure about that but I really think fortifications give a chance to the unit inside it a shot at firing back on the ships, just like it is for a city. Since repairing a corps is in no way comparable to repairing a Battleship, I would advocate buiding right next to the shore.

Also, I think it makes no sense to launch an amphib assault if you don't expect to take a supply source such as a city to keep the fight in the following turns. In that case, building your fortifications one square away from the shores and leaving room for the capture of one of your city by the ennemy is plainly illogic.

There are three good reasons why you better don´t build fortifications near the water (except for Denmark to protect the straits):

- while the engineer is building the fortification he will usually be bombarded from air and sea

- you need to man a fortification to put it into use (i.e. put a unit into it). Axis have a manpower problem and simply not enough units to man the coast before an actual invasion and if you leave it empty the fortifications will be destroyed by enemy landings without a fight. If you build the fortifications inland, then the enemy can land and your units have enough time to move into their fortifications.

- last but not least: fortifications have no active defence against naval units (unlike fortresses like Gibraltar or Sevastopol), they are built against land and air attacks, not against ships. So if you build and man them at the beaches, the enemy navy will only have a perfect training object and cause you a lot of damage and mpp drain over time...

Well since the cat is "Out of the Bag", best to build your fortifications around cities.

Research infra to reduce op. costs and during a threat, op. the appropriate units in to deal with it.

Engineered forts make great places to counter-attack from.

I also like to keep an army group delayed deployment in the build queue so that I can use it at a moments notice, no op costs.

This only reduces damage for the defender = no damage for the ships. So if you build fortresses at the ocean with an enemy fleet nearby, they can start their training mission and kill a few of your soldiers each turn too ;) .

P.S.: Defence bonuses are mulitplied with the readiness of a unit. After a few bombardments, readiness of the defender will be pretty low and defence bonuses don´t really help either - i.e. then also enemy air can start training on your fortresses...

In order to defend France you need to achieve two things:

First and foremost, keep the cities and ports. Second, knock out any HQ landing in continental Europe... so that land units run out of supply.

Guard each city with a good, upgraded unit supported by an HQ. It may be good idea to fortify the hex where you keep your HQ.

Also, provide air cover for your garrisons. If the allied player is free to bomb your garrisons, they won't survive the invasion turn.

After you do that... have some armor, air units and paratroopers ready to counterattack landing HQ's. You must be ready to counterattack immediately. If any one city falls, you will be in a terrible spot.