This does not work out yet:

1) If France is liberated, then Free French units (including ships) should become French units.

2) If France is liberated and then Vichy is defeated, Vichy should be annexed by France via event. (Should also work the other way around, though, i.e. if Vichy is defeated first.)

At the moment french units are pretty much useless without tech and HQs when France (+LC) is liberated. So if they even get Vichy, then it would be perhaps a good idea if they inherit the tech levels from UK or USA when France gets liberated. Otherwise there is a high incentive not to liberate it and to avoid taking Paris so the mpps don´t go to France ;) .

At the moment french units are pretty much useless without tech and HQs when France (+LC) is liberated. So if they even get Vichy, then it would be perhaps a good idea if they inherit the tech levels from UK or USA when France gets liberated. Otherwise there is a high incentive not to liberate it and to avoid taking Paris so the mpps don´t go to France .

Actually, this is exactly what Eisenhower wanted to do. He wanted to bypass Paris for a long as possible, realizing it would slow the adavence against the Germans, and diverting supplies to the people of France. I feel just like Ike when invading France currently.

For game purposes, yes, the scripting won't work quite right. My major beef for Germany and Italy early is getting kicked out of territory I have taken because a script kicks in to satisfy a surrender (eg: Iceland and the African territories). If Vichy territory can revert back to France without kicking the Axis out of what they control, then by all means, go for it. In the current form, its not too bad of a situation, and wont affect late game playability too much.

Yea I find it hard to believe that had Germany managed to take southern France before peace was called that Germany would of just given back Vichy France. Sure set the French up in any area they still own but I hate it when Vichy France is formed when you have a Axies unit sitting right in the city.

@Hubert: thanks for looking into this issue for a future patch - I didn´t know that scripts cannot handle the situation. Wouldn´t it be even better to have the patch provide new variables/flags by which modders CAN handle situations like this? For problems like this will arise with many mods (e.g. think of a 18th century mod which wants to deal with things like the partitions of Poland etc). Finally, I want to draw attention to Terif´s suggestion: it would be a powerful tool for modders if events could provide countries with tech.

Originally posted by Terif:

At the moment french units are pretty much useless without tech and HQs when France (+LC) is liberated. So if they even get Vichy, then it would be perhaps a good idea if they inherit the tech levels from UK or USA when France gets liberated. Otherwise there is a high incentive not to liberate it and to avoid taking Paris so the mpps don´t go to France ;) .

Keep in mind the other effect of liberating Paris - Paris is the only Western Allied national capitol on the continent and once it is captured then cities can go back up to 10 supply level. Establish a chain of allied controlled saures to the Mid-East and all those 5 point UK cites will grow up to 10.

Originally posted by Cheese Panzer:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Terif:

Keep in mind the other effect of liberating Paris - Paris is the only Western Allied national capitol on the continent and once it is captured then cities can go back up to 10 supply level. Establish a chain of allied controlled saures to the Mid-East and all those 5 point UK cites will grow up to 10. </font>