A few observations on the Demo

1. Being out of supply really has a huge effect in this game as the strength of your units declines rather rapidly. This is especially true if you attempt to amphibious invad the USA and it takes you a few turns to get there. Your units do no damage!

2. With FOW on the UK Naval AI is more active than it was in SC1, especially in the Atlantic. The Naval AI does need some fine tuning as in a recent game the Axis sunk 5 UK naval ships with no German units sunk.

3. It is easier to destroy units in this game, especially after taking a few neutral nations as this penalizes the morale of the defender.

4. As mentioned by another player, even if the Axis abandons the Seigfried line the French AI does not advance units to take an empty German city. Nor does the Allied AI move to take Italian cities if Germany conquers Italy.

5. I like the new Amphibious movement as it enables surprise attacks.

6. The airborne unit is cool, but must be used wisely.

7. The fewer units on the map really opens up the game on the Eastern front.

8. It will be interesting to see how the full game plays both HvAI and HvH.

9. Its a big change from SC1 but the simplicity and playability of the original game is still there.

10. I really like the diplomatic engine. No more cookie cutter! And a much more realistic response to Axis (attacking Sweden or Switzerland) and Allied actions (i.e. Allies attacking Ireland or the Benelux Countries).

11. Movement after combat is great. A most welcome addition. It has a big impact on the game, if used.

12. The increased diving percentage for Subs - 25% without tech, is a welcome addition.

13. Lots of choices, so few MPPs for the Axis.

14. Combat in Sc2 is really deadly.

[ April 09, 2006, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

The thing I like the most so far is the air combat model. Air strikes reduce morale, which has a lot of sense IRL, making grond units hit more effectively. 'Softening up' concept works here.

OTOH, the AI pretty weak - no offense Hubert, as I don't care much about it, but it is still dumb.

It couldn't take France in a hundred years...compared to a human player which, with a lil bit of luck, can reach the gates of Smolensk in the demo. We should thank God we're humans, I suppose smile.gif

Spotting with neutral boats and FOW sniffing MUST be fixed - they are maybe not so important in the games vs AI but in H2H they mean a lot of difference.

Defending it is a bit difficult indeed - building some fortifications in key locations or adopting a mobile defense tactic may help, I dunno. Indeed the tile system favours a little bit the attacker but OTOH, any breakthru can be countered from more directions than before.

I like the weather ideea - I had the possibility to take a glimpse at its effect during french campaign and in Russia (I attacked Russia just to see how it unfolds) - weather is a pain in the ass for the attacker, indeed. In clear weather (one game) I captured Minsk and pushed as far as the gates of Smolensk. In other game, I was in that lousy mud up to my neck and at lvl 1 motorization, almost stuck :(

Weather is a good ideea and can favour the defender. Attacker needs careful planning - summer time is a good choice, less probable you'd get stuck in the mud or something, having decreased mobility and reduced troops' effectiveness.

It's quite different from SC 1 - I hope the game plays out well h2h if some issue get addressed.

One thing that has really impressed me is the motorization upgrades, unless of course there is mud and snow.

Even then they have a maneuver value extra ordinare'.

On attack in clear weather and terrain, the Blitzkrieg is fully realized.

And as HR just alluded to, on defense, in conjuction with "operate" mechanics an immeasurable ability to adjust.