Help with operation Barbarosa!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but I'm also sure it would have been of a much less mindlessly vicious and racially intolerant variety.
Agreed. That was already happening during the end of the war. With many foreign troops fighting under the German banner. Even some from India and Africa ;)

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

They are all a bunch of Buntas. Don't let anybody kid you. They stuffed people in ovens, beat up little old ladies walking home from the stores at night, broke into homes, sent tanks on farmers, etc. I could careless what kind of a society or technology those devils had. Then when the Americans entered into Germany, it was..."Oh, me no Nazi. Me, no Nazi. Me not Hitler." Yeah, whatever. Those German people knew exactly what they were doing. Don't give the "regular German army" was okay stuff either, they killed people too.

Thank God for the USA. Thank God for the 2nd Ammendment.

-Legend

No wonder there were no Nazis in Germany after 1945.

They emigrated to America. tongue.gif:D

To take Leningrad:

Keep your troops supplied. Have HQs right next to them, leading in a chain back to Germany.

Cut off Leningrad. Then their supply levels drop.

Bring lots of airpower and pound the city continuously.

Have patience. It may take a few monthes.

Is it only me that find this a completly pointless thread.

We have no idea how the game he plays works. What rules etc, is it the ole dont wait for kiev-pocket go directly for Moscow thing or maybe something else? Either way I dont see how we can give him any useful tips.

Tuna you're attacking over a river tile, which means your forces strength are halved from the Southern Approach... You need all of your airpower and you need to encircle Leningrad... After you cut it off from Main Red Supply and it's down to 5 MPP Supply Source it is a matter of time before the city starves, use your Battleships even to hammer the city down further if you have issues after that... Remember you'll need a lot of firepower to kill it off, 4-5 corps, 2 armies, the Finns, 3 or 4 airflottes and 2 HQs and that's that...

It will fall just a matter of time, however if the enemy is strong willed and you cannot hold your siege you'll always lose this objective

Originally posted by tunatamaker:

that was my problem. I need HQ to keep them supplied.

tunatamaker

In order to maintain Good Supply Lines, you should not bypass cities for cities deeper in enemy territory.

As mentioned, any bypassed cities will always be a threat to you, so you really need to take every city in your path where it is practical to do so!.

I usually leave a corps unit to hold a city, however the freshly captured frontline cities should temporarily have more backup support than a single corps unit in a city!. Try to have one or two armies/tank armies within strike range of your most recent aquistions...just in case!.

You will have to wait till the supply-efficiency of a city moves up to 40%, usually 10%/turn!. So don't expect your newly aquired city to supply your troop's until 4-turns have passed!.

When massing your forces to take a city...stay at least 3 squares, perhap's better to stay away at least 4 squares away from that city, as any closer proximity tends to [in the case of the AI at least] cause that particular city to load-up on massive amounts of troops,...making it difficult to take that city!. Then when all of your units are in position, move in all at once with everything you have so as to not give that city any real chance to repel your attack!.

tunatamaker

On the first page, when I said historically the Germans sent AG North's panzers moving NE inland, cutting the communications links while the infantry moved along the coast and the armor had to wait south of Leningrad for the infantry to catch up, I should have mentioned that the infantry had been taking the Baltic harbor cities on the way.

Sorry, I thught that was already understood. Yes, you need to take major cities behind your objectives, and garrison them, for a number of reasons, or, as Retributar said, you'll never have a secure line of supply.

I remember my Eastern Front game by SSI, really rocked at first. I loved the feel of that massive front, the game was just a little too tactical and not Grand Strategy. Also maybe because the AI never beat me :( you could usually take Riga the first turn of the game, real real easy objective.

In SC2, in the Invasion of the Soviets, Odessa is a little harder but Riga is the easiest city of all, and the 4 frontline Russian cities are essential, if in 6 months you were unable to take these cities it is a sign that you need to read a strategy guide. Terif offers one for Multiplayer, that guide it's sticky'd up at the beginning of the Strategic Command 2 Thread.. but you need to practice on the finer points of SC2 warfare and tactical movement before you evolve into conquoring the USSR. I'm not one to totally point fingers, my first 5 games against the AI I could not take France in SC1! Whoa! I found it immensly addictive, had similar issues with MultiPlayer SC1... France was a Mother of all Conquests, took me a solid 10 games to even learn to conquest France. In the end though I would rarely lose a Corps doing it... Fine tune your game

The Russians call the Military-Skill to conduct war effectively & efficiently as...

"The Operational Art Of War!". Do a web-Search on that topic and see what it tell's you!.

You are still a Grass-Hopper at this stage!, it will take you time to hone your skill's at managing all aspect's of your Military-Machine!. Once your expertise improve's, you will find that there is alway's something that you wern't aware of that someone else has brought to your attention!.

Yes!, it look's simple to move Chess Piece's/formation's and attack this or that, but the ability to manage what you do have with maximum efficiency is quite another matter!. You will get there quickly with the assistance of all the Arm-Chair-General's here!. Pay attention, and put into practice what these battle-hardened veteran's convey to you, and you will then become an 'Atilla The Hun' in your own right!.

Hello,

I have played my first turn as Germany about 50 times, and I cannot figure out how to destroy the whole front line of Russia. Is it because I know for a fact that Russia will retreat and I dont want Russia to be left with anything much to retreat.

Not sure that you can. There are a few things to remember (including that the below is not the full picture - just a simple version that should help you in your current situation smile.gif ):

1. Attack with air units first, as they reduce enemy readiness.

2. Attack before moving where possible, as you get a 25% bonus.

3. However, move first if you'd otherwise be attacking across a river or from a marsh tile. Those situations reduce your attack power by 50%.

4. Move rear units up to switch ownership of rivers, as enemy-held rivers take more movement points to cross.

5. Protect your HQs and even more importantly your air. It's alright to leave an HQ near an enemy unit though if that unit is weak and will be attacking across a river.

6. Cutting off units will reduce their movement points to 50% (usually 1). As any tile which has 2+ of your units adjacent to will take an extra movement point to get to. So you can prevent enemy units from moving.

7. It will be easier to kill the cut-off enemy units next turn as their readiness will be very low.

8. Be aware that any unoccupied tiles adjacent to an enemy city will flip at the end of your turn, possibly allowing enemy units that you thought were surrounded to operate away.

Here's a very quick first turn. Probably not a very good one smile.gif , especially as I should have moved that corps from Warsaw NE rather than E (to prevent any attack against my air unit). I took the view that the HQs would likely take no damage in any attack from the weak armies adjacent to them. Again, that corps should have been placed east of the northern air unit to shield the HQ from that strength 10 unit.

That southern HQ moved first, allowing me to attach the unattached army SSE of Warsaw.

That northern enemy army (Strength 2) will be able to escape as Riga will flip the tile ownership NE of my panzer. I just decided that it was better to damage the air unit than kill the army.

barby2zx2.jpg

[ March 13, 2007, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Bromley ]