cmak mac freeze

solo

i play a enormous operation scenario Drop in Maleme57OOpts. I play 3, 4 turn after I decide to leave the game. I reconsider the scenario later, the computer gives its orders, and freezes right before launching the video one. I have to restart the computer. If I leave and return in the game ,it freezes. It is only the case with scenarios starting from 5000pts. I do not have this problem with cmbb.

I'lm looking for a Solution please

Mac G3 350hz/128mo/ATI16mo

Thank

I'd hazard a guess it's all a bit to much for your mac's memory.

Could you click the apple in top left hand corner after ESC from CMAK >About your Mac> and see what the memory usage is showing for CMAK and your Mac OS system

Do you also have Virtual Memory on (Memory control panel) and are there any other applications running at the same time.

Originally posted by solo:

i play a enormous operation scenario Drop in Maleme57OOpts. I play 3, 4 turn after I decide to leave the game. I reconsider the scenario later, the computer gives its orders, and freezes right before launching the video one. I have to restart the computer. If I leave and return in the game ,it freezes. It is only the case with scenarios starting from 5000pts. I do not have this problem with cmbb.

I'lm looking for a Solution please

Mac G3 350hz/128mo/ATI16mo

Thank

What else is running ('rest') ? You may want to close down those programs.

I don't know if increasing your virtual memory will help or not. Your best bet may be to just purchase a memory upgrade for your Mac. I don't know why there would be a difference between playing a CMBB scenario at 5000+ points and a CMAK one, but it could be an issue of exactly what units are present and how they're engaging in the scenario.

Could it be possible that it isn't really freezing but just taking a really, really looooooong time to process the turn? Seems to me that 350MHz G3 isn't an awfully fast chip to process a 5,700 point game once all the units are on the map and doing things. If it were me, I'd stick with smaller games, 1,500 points or so.

Michael

did he say it freezes when the mac Sleeps?

This is a long KNOWN problem with all the CMx games

from CMBO to CMBB and I will Bet for CMAK to if you let your Mac go to sleep the game is GONE! wake up the mac and the game screen is white only and then you have to reboot but the auto save in CMBB did catch the last thing that happened in the game.

is this issue the Mac Sleeps and the Game Freezes and you need to reboot issue?

(or not?)

-tom w

posted December 19, 2003 12:00 PM                      

------------------------------------------------------------------------

does the 'blue bar' turn calculation finish before locking up ?

yes

Is this lockup occuring after the turn calculation, but right before it starts to play the movie ?

yes

but it's happen only on the save scenario or register.

When i open the scenario of the CD i play fine a lot of turns but when i leave the game, cmak create a save or i register. An when i open the save scenario the it freeze after bluebar resolution?

not other program open

I don't understand the 'i register' action in your post. Is this typing a filename for the scenario save ?

Does your lockup occuring during the normal course of play for any large scenario/op ? Does this error only occur when attempting to 'manually' save the game ? At what exact point are you attempting to save, right after the turn calculation, but before the movie ? If so, then the processor is probably too busy and it isn't the best time. I'd suggest either fast forwarding/stopping the video before performing a save. I can only assume that whatever is saved when you get locked up is a corrupted file that could possibly lockup CM again (though usually CM should give an error attempting to load up a corrupted file).

posted December 19, 2003 02:35 PM                      

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand the 'i register' action in your post. Is this typing a filename for the scenario save ?

yes

Does your lockup occuring during the normal course of play for any large scenario/op ?

yes from large map 5000pt

Does this error only occur when attempting to 'manually' save the game ?

no with autosave too

the autosave file or manually save is corrupted.

I don't know why

Are you loading up any non-Apple extensions (in other words software for other functions that Apple doesn't provide) ?

Though it may reveal no problems at all, you may want to run Disk First Aid or whatever hard drive/file system diagnostic you have, just to make sure that there aren't any file system problems. However if this only seems to happen in the largest battles, then it may just be a lack of memory and a memory upgrade would be the best suggestion.

Try running with the least amount of extensions and control panels possible. It should free up a little bit more memory (which may make little difference here), but hopefully it may identify a possible culprit.

I thought that the only time you could save a turn was during the orders phase. After you press Go, you can't save until you press Done and a new turn begins. Wrong?
You're correct. The button becomes 'greyed out' once the turn has finished calculating and the Alt-S keystroke also is disabled during turn calculation and movie playback. The 'Save' button would turn grey earlier, but the turn calculation takes up nearly 100% of the CPU's time, which doesn't allow for any updates to the display.

Maybe, but you could still give CM more, maybe 200 megs with all other programs closed.

That 384 is all "real" memory, right? No virtual.

I tried "to the volga" CMBB scenario a while back, just for fun. I have 8600 upgraded to 400Mhz G3, 224 MB's ram. A turn took 2 hours to calculate and then the game crashed.

There might be something out there that crashes macs that cant do something in some particular time. Or something.