enabling better graphics

I found this for you in a previous post.

If you're on a PC, delete the "Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs" file in the Combat Mission (i.e. "CMBO") directory. Then set your desktop to the resolution you want. Then run CM again. It will show you one graphics configuration after another - pick one (probably the first one). From then on CM will remember the settings.

On the Mac you can do the same thing... delete the Prefs file. I'm not sure where it is located, it may be in the System Folder's Preferences folder. The Mac however doesn't prompt you for resolutions, so I believe you must set your desktop resolution to that which you want to run CMBO at. Once you launch CMBO the Prefs file gets rewritten and updated with your resolution. You should be able to change your desktop resolution after this and CM will run at the resolution you had set it for, except for when your desktop resolution is set below what you had set it for CM, then it may not work until you change the resolution and/or delete the Prefs file.

Originally posted by HarryInk:

And what do you do with this problem when you're running an iMac. Can you remove the same file? Is it in the same place?

Harry

Yeah, system and preferences.

Which iMac BTW, how many MHz?

The early ones had terribly poor video cards.

Might be there is no fix...

Okay. I looked @ this iMac's a$$. It has written there:

Power PC G3 233MHz; 512k cache; 32MB; 4GB HD;24x CD ROM.

Now I know that (i) this was an early iMac, (ii) my partner bought another 32MB RAM for graphics (expecting to play with DTP and Photoshop) when she bought the 'puter, and (iii) it's running on OS 8.5

We have the screen set @ 800x600 95Hz, but whenever I kick up CM it gets presented as 640x480 117Hz.

So waddaya reckon. A hopeless case? I should just lease a half-way decent PC laptop for my CM addiction, or can it be redeemed here on this iMac?

Please please help! *grin*

Harry

Your iMac may be limited to running 640x480. The issue is how much VRAM you have and I believe that the default amount for that particular model is 2Mb. I don't know if there is a VRAM upgrade for that model or not. Beyond the VRAM upgrade (if it is available for your particular iMac and if it is you'll max out at 6Mb) there is nothing else you can really do for that particular model.

If you're truly addicted to CM, then I'd recommend getting another computer. Even newer iMacs have much more VRAM (and obviously faster CPUs).