malta was very strategically important but so was messina

without holding messina, the allies couldnt have taken or controlled sicily

and without sicily, they couldnt have invaded italy

messina was the reason for invading sicily

and italy was the reason for invading sicily

Originally posted by Kuniworth:

you gay? This is a strategic game with just the largest cities. If Palermo is there it's enough. Messina is simulated anyway.

"you gay?"

It must be frustrating when you need to cull through the BF forum members for a Friday night date, huh Kuni?

lol JP tongue.gif

i think Messina needs to be there

Messina is the third largest city on the island of Sicily, Italy and the capital of the province which bears its name. Messina has a population of 260,000.

~ wikipedia encylopedia

260,000 people huh?

that seems pretty big to me

thats already 4.3 times bigger than my city....

There were also Allied plans for invading Corsica and / or Sardinia as an alternative to Sicily; naturally Sicily was a better stepping stone from Tunisia, but either of the other two major islands had their own advantages, mainly in terms of providing air bases for strikes against central and northern Italy.

Yet neither or them has a port, and neither does Crete, Cyprus, or the Baleric Islands. All of which, in addition to Lisbon, have as much strategic significance, on this scale, as Messina.

Probably they are much more deserving as Sicily already has a port.

im not saying EVERY historical port edwin tongue.gif

i just mean ports for -

France -

Le Havre- NE of cherbourg i believe

Cherbourg- west of the normandy landing beaches

maybe Calais

Sicily -

Messina

maybe Syracuse

Sardinia -

at least 1 port, ill have to do research

corsica -

at l;east 1 port

crete -

at l;east 1 port

cyprus

-at least 1 port

azores maybe?

so ya, theres a few ports

i think that sardinia WAS invaded

if i remember right ill have to do sum research

it was sumtime before or after the sicily invasion

iceland too

i completelyt forgot about iceland lol

iceland had a crucial role in ww2, as a weather predictor

and as a base for allied aircraft and warships patrolling the atlantic for uboats

iceland needs a port as well tongue.gif

definitely Reykjavík id say

as for the baleirac islands, however theyre spelled i cant rmember -

Palma (old Spanish name Palma de Mallorca) is the major city and port in the island of Majorca (in Catalan: Mallorca) and capital city of the autonomous community of the Balearic Islands in Spain. It is situated on the south coast of the island on the Bay of Palma. As of the 2003 census, the population of the city of Palma proper was 367,277, and the population of the entire urban area was estimated to be 462,010, ranking as the 12th-largest urban area of Spain. Almost half of the total population of Majorca live in Palma.

Historically, the city and island have been regularly invaded. The city prospered most greatly when it was the capital of the Kingdom of Majorca, a part of the Aragonese Crown, in the 13th and 14th centuries. Many of the most noted historic buildings in the city date from this period and show the characteristic Gothic style, notably the cathedral (built from 1230 to 1600) and the mixed Moorish-Spanish style of the Palau de l'Almudaina.

The archipelago of Cabrera, though widely separated from Palma proper, is administratively considered part of the municipality.

so perhaps majorca should have a port?

GeneralMark

What you'd really like is the beautiful map that was used for HiCom @40 miles per hex instead of fifty and with lots of detail.

I'd like that too. smile.gif

It doesn't seem to be compatible with Hubert's system.

Mussolini thought Italy would get at least one of the Balerics for sending so much to Franco during his Civil War. He was wrong. Hitler thought he'd get at least one of the Canary Islands from Franco for the same reason, and he was wrong too! :D