Question about Finland units

I have lived for most of my life in 'The Great White North!'...and what happen's here is that...

1. You don't know any better, so then the harsh winter doesn't seem so bad!,...you think nothing of it!.

2. You learn how to effectively deal with such a harsh environment from personal experience!,...for yourself,...and for any equipment you need to use!.

It is funny to me how the Russians were considered such great winter fighters when in fact the Finns kicked the Russians arses taking full advantage of their ability in brutal winter conditions against near 10 to one odds. Yes I do think the Russians were better equiped for such harsh winter conditions against the Axies powers but they certenly were not the best at it smile.gif

The Red Army was truly humiliated in their war with Finland. They were also suffering from command disruptions brought about as a result of Stalin's purge of the officer corps. What came of the Russian/Finnish war was that the Red Army learned from its mauling at the hands of the Finns. They adapted skis for their own troops and put them to use when they fought the Germans. What made the Russians so tough in the snow as compared to the Germans was their native ability to survive Russian winter conditions. Makes sense; after all, they did grow up there. Consequently, they knew to use thinner lube oils in their engines and weapons, something the Germans had to learn that first winter. The Russian tank designs also reflected knowledge of operating conditions in Russia. The T-34's used wide tracks to better distribute the weight of the tank. They were able to outmaneuver German tanks in mud and snow. The Germans tried to copy this design by adding extensions to their tracks, known as Ostketten or something like that. Whether they were truly awesome fighters in winter is beside the point; the Germans were unprepared for the conditions in Russia while their enemy was ready to fight in mud and snow. The disparity perhaps gave birth to the legend.

The same mythology was applied to the Japanese. They were supposed to be natural jungle fighters, thus reflecting their "simian" roots, as seen in the hideous monkey-like figures in the propaganda posters.

Lucky for the propagandists that the Allied public was too lazy to look at a map. Japan is on the same latitude as Los Angeles. It's about as tropical as Nova Scotia.

DT

Guest Mike

Russians are not "native" winter fighters - but they did learn from the Winter War with Fuinland and equip their troops to survive it beter.

In 1812 the Russians lost as many men from the cold as Napoleon did, but they simply had the numbers to keep going - they even resorted to pres-ganging peasants straight out of villages into the army with no training - the casualties were astronomical.....but they could be replaced.