The scale of the game wouldn't allow the representation of brigades, and I don't feel that the result of any German invasion is any different because the Poles only have Corps and Armies.

The cavalry division formed during the invasion also wasn't a big enough unit to feature in a game at this scale.

It's not discrimination, it's simply that in making a playable game some abstractions have to be made.

Aside from which, in 1939 the Germans still had a cavalry division and I think the United States also had one -- soon to be completely mechanized.

The Soviet Army had some large formations that were designated as being cavalry and I know they used cavalry in irregular groups along with T-34s, mainly behind the Axis lines.

But the thing is, from the Boer War (c1900) and probably even earlier, cavalry was really mounted infantry using the horses as transportation.

Early in WWI there were many cavalry formations on both sides. The German Belgium campaign had so many cavalry formations that in the 1930s Heinz Guderian started out writing about the cavalry in that operation before switching to armor in Achtung Panzer! There even instances of WWI cavalry attacking machine gun positions, with the obvious results.

Anyway, on a corps and army level what benefit would there be in having separate cavalry units during the 1940s? Horses made sense on the steppes because horses don't use as much petrol as trucks and tanks -- can't satisfy a motorized column's needs by having it eat grass for a few hours before continueing. But other than that --?

blackbellamy

Great photo!

Yeah, cavalry still had it's uses during WWII and I'm sure we've all seen the film footage of Mongolian / Soviet horsemen aiming and firing a rifle while riding at full speed, wearing gas masks and the horse having a mask as well.