My bomber pilots are blind.

Is Paris on fire? Did my bombs hit? Is the ball-bearing factory on fire? I don't know, my bomber pilots are blind.

I tell them to go bomb stuff, they fly out, take some damage or not, and that's it. Should I keep bombing that city? Can I move on? Did I do any real damage? How long do I bomb a city before it's reduced?

I don't know, because I have no feedback, no way to tell if there's a plume of smoke, or a giant conflagration, none of my spotter planes report back and my damage assessment teams have been turned into trench diggers I guess.

I imagine my bombers flying out, each one enveloped in a giant Fog Of War Bubble . They can see their own plane, and maybe the next one in the formation, but when the bombs drop, it's like they're falling into a giant white fluffy cloud that muffles all sound and prevents vision. Nice!

Guest Mike

Why would you know?

The allies had very little info on the results of their bombing other than something got hit...or often didn't.

A highly speculative "the target toook no/light/moderate/heavy damage" would suffice IMO, but it should almost always be wrong.

Flak OTOH was well documented and a flak report would be very appropriate and usually accurate.

I agree SO, why would you know exactly. But you would get an idea. After bombing reconnaissance sorties would yield some indications. Remember Bombers and AFs have that recon element at their disposal.

Maybe an undefinitive popup of "The bombing was effective" or "Another mission should be planned".

Flak report???? Just look at your Bomber unit losses.

Originally posted by Stalin's Organist:

Why would you know?

The allies had very little info on the results of their bombing other than something got hit...or often didn't.

A highly speculative "the target toook no/light/moderate/heavy damage" would suffice IMO, but it should almost always be wrong.

Flak OTOH was well documented and a flak report would be very appropriate and usually accurate.

Well, you know pretty much what damage all the other stuff does, don't see why it should be different for Bombers. Can't tell me anybody else always knew what they hit.

Originally posted by SeaMonkey:

Flak report???? Just look at your Bomber unit losses.

Yeah, but there's some dice rolls involved. Did I just get unlucky or did he just go to AA-2? You can tell with any other unit.

Guest Mike
Originally posted by Lars:

Well, you know pretty much what damage all the other stuff does, don't see why it should be different for Bombers. Can't tell me anybody else always knew what they hit.

Fair enough - do away with it for everythignthen!

Actually there was considerable effort put into finding out how strong ground forces were, and it was a lot easier than assessing bomb damage because you could go and get evidence in the form of prisoners and long range recce, or even count shell hits on enemy vessels.

So I have no problem with land and sea elements knowing more about how much damage they did than bombers do.