Attack Belgium, Denmark in Mud/Winter?

I know we discussed the topic somewhere her and there but i wanted to summarize it for myself.

Is it possible to conquer Belgium and Denmark in a mud turn? I mean Denmark for example with ship fire support, one corps attacking from the Hamburg region and a second one landing directly in the city?

And Belgium? AF`s cant help, so are the germans able to take it without AF`s or doesnt that matter so much and should the Belgium frontline corps be destroyed first and worry about the city in the second turn?

And how about that scenario in a winter turn?

Thanks for your comments!

Fireball

Yes, you can take both in bad weather.

For Denmark, you need an army to land next to it the turn you declare, it attacks and the next turn it goes in the capital.

For Belgium, well, the garrison in Brussels is at strenth 8, but not entrenched. I always attack it with 3 armies on turn 2. Just make sure you got a 4th unit to walk in !

Ok, so even if there is mud you can bypass the Belgium frontline corps and attack the town directly from 3 sites and you can "drive" in there with a tank?

Wouldn`t it be better to attack denmark with 2 units? 1 form land that kills the defenders and a second that lands with amphibs. So next turn you can already move west to France.

Fireball

It depends on where the Belgium corps gets deployed. If it is between Brussel and Essen (worst place for the axis IMO) I doubt you can take Belgium with 3 or even 4 units in 1 turn.

Most likely 2 (or even more) turns are needed and the French will maul the 3rd attacker which is right at their border with 3 attacks each turn.

CharonJr

Winter should be better since you can put more units in position to directly attack Brussels faster (2 direct attacks + 1 across river in mud on turn1 if the Belgium corps is between Brussels and Essen vs. 3-4 direct attacks with the riverattack most likely not being needed).

CharonJr

Originally posted by Fire:

Wouldn`t it be better to attack denmark with 2 units? 1 form land that kills the defenders and a second that lands with amphibs. So next turn you can already move west to France.

Not worth the mpp cost of the amphib invasion, imho.

I usually wait for my paratroopers to take Denmark, use 1 air and two ships, easy to take in 1 turn. Plus, I make sure to time it so I get the morale bonus for the surrender and get the extra 'oomph' when hitting Belgium/France. Get it too early and you lose the morale bonus for the Blitzkrieg.

Personally, I wait for spring to invade the Low Countries.

However, another advantage with attacking during winter months is that the Allies have no real chance to launch a counter offensive.

It seems every time the Axis invade during winter, I (being Allies) can never seem to move my armies forward to attack, due to the mud/snow. So your chances of heavily damaging a German unit are pretty low, let alone destroy one. If you do counter attack, you'll only weaken your own units, allowing the Germans to achieve a breakthrough the next turn. And then your in a world of **** (like, "Paris by april" world of ****)......

In our current TCP/IP game Axisgeneral managed to deal out some serious punishment during the mud turns with his French troops.

Depending on your positioning France can bring to bear 4-5 units vs. 1 attacker. Lost an army and even a tank unit (which forced him to leave Paris with his own tanks, but I think I would have done the same - being able to bag a tank unit is too good to miss even if Paris will be taken 1 turn earlier).

But I have to admit that he was only able to do this due to me miscalculating movement costs ;)

CharonJr

Originally posted by CharonJr:

But I have to admit that he was only able to do this due to me miscalculating movement costs ;)

I make that mistake often too : thinking "oh, no, he can't move that so far" and then before you know it, he does it.

Movement is sometimes tricky. Especially if the mud goes away, all of a sudden the reach is ALOT higher !

Yea it worked out well in killing those 2 units. Not sure if its worth losing the units for an early conquest of France. I played another player who did almost the same move and I managed to inflict the same type of damage. Another aspect to this is less plunder for Axis when it does take Paris since most of the French units will be destroyed quickly. Less plunder and added costs of Operational Movements to take LC early not worth it.