Wear and Tear (for SC3)

One concern I always had in SC was the fact that a unit could move 200 miles and attack at full strength.

Wear and tear of equipment would cause more losses than enemy action generally so I reckon a unit should attack at a (temporarily) reduced strength the further it travels before launching an attack.. perhaps a % reduction to the combat calculation based upon distance travelled, nearest HQ as well as supply levels and even weather.

This could also be seen to take an element of the time for the turn involved ie if you have to travel 200 miles to launch an attack not only have you left half your tanks in the highway/ mud but you have much less time after your travel to coordinate and plan the subsequent attack.

With reduced strength the unit would be more likely to incur real damage as well. Could even arge that this temporary % reduction carries on into the opponents phase to show the increased vulnerability of any such unit.

This would give a flavour of campaigns grinding to a halt and add to the risk of an all or nothing pursuit into the eneny heartland. Would also show the position where Russian offensives simply ran out of steam.

Would be a difficult proposal to implement and play test (hence the SC3 thought!) and may delve into too much detail (hate micromanagement)

G

Hmm, SC3

Must be set for about a Christmas 2042 release. Not sure many of us old timers will be around for that.

At any rate, I do understand the "wear and tear" argument. Closest thing I have seen to it are fatigue ratings in some games. I would think you could build something like that which would give a "strength reduction" if there is a long move and/or no rest between attacks. Time to heal and build strength back up.

Still, I think it's good to think in these terms.

Without trying to be funny, though perhaps it will be seen that way, by the time SC-3 is developed there might be much bigger, better and faster home computers than anything we're currently thinking in terms of. It would be great to see something capable of handling mountains of detail and running an AI that would be truly challenging.

Except, of course, we'd be getting into the realm of Colossus, the Forbin Project and the Terminator future. :eek: The damn things are liable to answer keyboard instructions with something like a laugh and "Oh, another lousy move? Okay, if you insist, I'll process it." ;)

One concern I always had in SC was the fact that a unit could move 200 miles and attack at full strength.
This is already accounted for in SC2. Units making a deliberate attack without moving first get a 25% readiness bonus for combat, and -1 AP for subsequent movement. Otherwise, units can move and attack "normally" as in SC. Call it a bonus for deliberate planning or a "wear and tear" penalty for movement to contact/hasty attack, the effect is already implemented.