One of the things that I like about SC1 (as it is now called - that's so cool), is the research tree, the chance of getting a new goody, that might help one, actually will help one, win the battle, or change defeat to victory. At turn end, you get to see convoy losses, mmp production, and most enjoyable, a research gain. It's almost like going up a level in a D&D role playing game.

In the original SC1, before patches, research discovery added 10% value in the industrial costs. That, based on public opinion, was patched to be only 5%. And wisely so, I think.

But it's fun to see your armor evolve to being better, airplanes turning into fighters, etc.

So my suggestion is this:

Have the research levels go to ten, and make the progress less, say 2.5% improvement, and let them occur more regularly. I would even go so far as to suggest that even if one doesn't research a particular field with mmps, there is an off chance of making a discovery.

If I am not mistaken, that happened in WW1: They needed night flares, and it resulted in the development of the mortar.

But anyways the theme of this post is more discoveries, but less impact with each one (L0 airplanes versus L1 sneaky jets in waiting is a case in point: the difference is huge)

L0 airplanes versus L1 sneaky jets in waiting is a case in point: the difference is huge
That "huge" difference is composed of several things: combat table value change due to tech level, additional strength point(s), unit experience, plus any HQ command bonuses.

The actual combat table value changes are not that huge by themselves. In SC2, additional strength points will become Elite Reinforcements based on unit experience level and will take longer to acquire, so that will be different. The effect of experience in the combat formulas may be toned down a bit. And force pool limits and other unit value adjustments should help tone down the current AF dominance in the game.

So let's keep research in perspective with everything else. Lots of little changes and adjustments should add up to help smooth out all those rough edges we've all been wrestling with in SC1.

***I would like to add some of my own thoughts on this subject...but, they are only my wishful thinkings...as i do not know what the game is capable of handling...or even if any of my ideas are worth the effort, or any effort at all!. ***

-------

First...i want to say that i like the way that the ideas are heading here!. I would like to really see some new gaming technology in this game...im getting somewhat bored with the same-old same-old gaming methods.

By-The-Way...i like the Graphics that i see in this game...they truely look magnificent!.

Perhaps add the choice to have Camouflage' on the units...maybey later in a patch!. Straight Grey or Straight Olive-Drab-Green will suffice...but, Hey!...why-not some Spice!.

The 'Camouflage' could self-adjust itself for the particular theatre or season!.

------

To add more to the discussion now,...the research and development could or should be as realistic as is reasonable for the design limits and other aspects of the game development(Including Monetary Limits for such)!.

It could be adjusted to suite a players personal preference...from 'Exactly Historical' research to...research that can be initiated 'sooner than' or 'later than' as was 'Historically'done!('Some-what random' for either way... or fixed as 'sooner' or fixed as 'later').

EG: The Germans had a working Jet in 1938 or 1939 and the possibility of developing the Atom-Bomb'...but, decided that it would not be necessary!.

Even have the option to set the range of research and development only say from 1938 to the 1943 parameters...which would be less than 'Historical'!.

"HEARTS OF IRON" had a Complicated,Deep Research line/Engine in the game!... i didn't care for it at first...but, got to like it as i played the game!...it was also an eye-opening experience!.

------

--Another thing,...access to 'Strategic Materials' Metal, Coal, Oil etc could at the players discretion/selection... have a bearing on the game!...in deciding who and when you will attack... at what stage of your 'War-Strategie'.

If you have an Oil-Shortage, then your armies are restricted accordingly to your supply,...So now say that you had previously researched 'Synthetic-Oils' for example, then you would not need to rely entirely on the 'Ploesti Oil-Fields/Refineries'... or whatever...what a difference that could make!.

------

Now...for more unecessary stuff!. Even though its not necessary...i would like to be able to see my factories in action (By accessing my Factory List)...Then see the production of my New-Tanks , Jets or Battle-Ships or what-ever...and, also be able to see a completely '3D-Rotatable' image of whats being Constructed or Developed,...it would be enjoyable eye-candy!.

As was historical too,...when new technologies are arrived at, 'Factories' would need to have enough time to 're-tool' before another production item could be cranked out!...This would make you think twice before setting any new production orders!.

------

The Fuhrer'-Directive (could be switched 'on' or 'off'): This was for the German-Side a real-spoiler!...it prevented Jets from being developed sooner...and when the jets were finally developed...something like 10% or so were developed as 'Fighters'...the rest as 'Fighter-Bombers'...which was only one of many Stupid 'Fuhrer-Decree' mistakes from Adolf-Hitler!.

Had Germany had these jets as 'Fighters' earlier in the war and in greater numbers...the Allies would not have had 'Air-Supremacy' like they did!. What a difference that would make!. Of course, this event... would then trigger a stepped up programme for jets from the Allies side now!.

------

I could go on and on...but, that's it for now!.

[ May 18, 2004, 02:52 AM: Message edited by: Retributar ]

Well it was discussed many times already, but IMHO one off the big problems was the instant "upgrade" off all units over the board and the "garanted research sucess". These things are taken care off. Please don´t complicate SC2 to much.