Soviet Union as a playable

I remember old C64 game Storm across europe where was three playable sides Germany and minor axis,Soviet union and Western allies.

I think it would be great if S.U could be played as own side with own diplomacy and declare war independently like against Turkey or Finland.

When S.U is AI controlled there could be option to turn S.U behavior aggressive or historical as it is now. Comments?

Guest Mike

3-player WW2 (& WW1) games are good - I've played a few board games that use it & they give good feel for co-ordination problems for the allies.

But they would definitely be a pain for PBEM, but perhaps less so for TCP?

I'd not be against this, the Plus you'd give the Allies and Germans is perhaps more U-boats, aircraft and more surface ships to make their battles more drawn out. It could give a 3rd Factor for Victory, I'm almost certian had Stalin conquored Paris for the Allies, We'd of gotten none of the cake, You could make a goal, who can get to the Heart of Germany first who can gut her... It would represent some of the lack of cooperation between the Big 3

Originally posted by Cheese Panzer:

I would think you would need to add a few scripts to make this work. Right now, the AI doesn't do any Lend Lease or Russian convoys - or at least my Uboats never found any. Russia needs some help from the West to survive.

In the early part of the war Russia did need some help but I am convinced that had England made piece with Germany after the fall of France and the U.S. stayed out of Europe and focused on the Pacific that eventfully Russia would of won out. Once the Russians had 'liberated' Western Europe there is no reason to believe that they would of acted any differently then they did with Eastern European countries. So I would have NO problem with a third side, after all that is the way it really was.

In my last game against the AI Germany surtrendered, Italy and Spain were still fighting, and there sat Russia and US/UK eying each other in the middle of Germany. It may have been the Patton in me, but I tried to have the US/UK declare war on Russia. Just got the message that they were on my side. (We all know better now don't we)

Anyway, I have no problem, except it would be a neat option to have for a little fun.

A third side is interesting. Especially if no time limit. So if Germany is defeated in the normal manner, the Western Allies and Soviet Union could then battle it out.

They were after all only allies of convenience.

And what of Italy? Once Germany falls, they could join the Allies against the Red Menace.

Just some interesting ideas that open up if we make it a 3 way fight.

Originally I thought SC2 was going to have all 5 player slot's like in Axis and Allies, where England, U.S., S.U., Germany, and Italy would all be individual players. I was disapointed when I found that it was not so.

I for one was really looking forward to some teamwork in PBEM and TCP games.