Transport Loading/Combat -- Possible Bug?

Here's the situation. Playing the Axis in a 1939 campaign PBEM game of WAW. I have taken Malta. When the port recovers, I load my Italian corps onto transports only to have the transport counter appear adjacent to an enemy cruiser. (The port square was already occupied with a friendly fleet.) My corps suffers losses -- annoying enough -- but the real problem occurs when I mail my turn to my opponent. When the turn gets to this point in the replay, the game crashes at his end. I try replicating the turn -- including this transport incident -- with the same result.

Any thoughts?

I think only Hubert can solve that problem. I`m not happy with this feature anyway.. in on of my last games I had 7 american amphib transport which ran into the Tirpitz in just one turn.. one after the other without any reactions of the AI. These automatic attacks are too powerful... and a bug like this is even more annoying.

Hyazinth I think the reason(I agree with it)is that before you could invade or move trans.past enemy fleets without them firing.It was very apparent when the Germans try to invade England.You could have Brit.warships along the coast of England and as long as the German player spots them the Brits. dont get to shoot at the enemy Trans. passing very close to them,which in reality the British warships would blow them to bits.The way it is now it makes an invasion of England or anyother invasion attempt very risky without control of the seas(the way it should be imo).

Hyazinth I think the reason(I agree with it)is that before you could invade or move trans.past enemy fleets without them firing.It was very apparent when the Germans try to invade England.You could have Brit.warships along the coast of England and as long as the German player spots them the Brits. dont get to shoot at the enemy Trans. passing very close to them,which in reality the British warships would blow them to bits.The way it is now it makes an invasion of England or anyother invasion attempt very risky without control of the seas(the way it should be imo).

I hadn't noticed this about fleets, so I gamed it out and it is, in fact, even weirder than you suggest. Here's how it works. (Experiment conducted with WAW 1942 campaign with FoW.)

Enemy naval units -- even when spotted -- automatically attack all friendly AMPHIBIOUS units (not transports), but only if the amphibious unit ends its move ADJACENT to the enemy unit. Transports can move past spotted fleets and even end their turn next to an enemy fleet with no consequences. And the same is true of amphibious units that do not end their turn adjacent to enemy fleets. They, too, are not attacked automatically.

Correct. That's what I meant when I said they attack "all" friendly amphibious units that end the turn adjacent.

I do, however, find it strange that they ignore amphibious units that do not voluntarily stop adjacent. Perhaps, if this ability to attack amphibious units is considered a good thing, even spotted naval units should cause enemy units attempting to move past them to stop involuntarily and be attacked.

Fair enough. Scatter and they can't be attacked. But they wouldn't be much use on offense. Amphibious landings tended to require extensive coordination and the like. A scattered force would not be able to do that very well. Either way, the defender would benefit.

Guys, I agree with what you say...

A possible solution could be to limit these attacks to a certain number per turn, let`s say 3 or so. Even a Battleship group cannot shoot all Amphibs, if they appear in sheer masses around it.. it cannot be present everywhere. But I seriously doubt that the game engine can cope with that.