I'm fed up that the AI can't…

…use FO's or Churchill ARVE's at all in missions.

OK chock one up for the STUPID AI, I am fed up that the AI can't or couldn't use FO'S properly if it's life depended on it, first it (the AI) wouldn't know what a TRP is even if the wind blew it in its face and two it moves up FO's even if a HQ has line of sight to the target and the command line is to the FO which lies safe in cover. STUPID!!!

BTS fix it or do SOMEFINK!

Point two, situation I made a Operation with the "advance" as settings I have a platoon of Engineers with a ARVE to support them in wooded area (yes there is light woods so tanks can advance). I tested to see how the AI attacks (or lack of). 3 battles each lasting 10 rounds on a map of 250m wide and 1200m long it took the AI 30 turns to advance 500m!!!! at the end I see the ARVE was still at start position not even moved (and not bogged or immobile!!) the Engineers were slaughtered by a Bunker which the ARVE could have safely destroyed at 120m!! but noooooo its there at the start line, other tanks move ahead damn cautiously and the troops move at a painfull snails pace!! what's up with that?

right, maybe "advance" for the AI is to much or maybe it thinks Advance means standing still :mad:

On another point when the AI uses FO's they just smoke up an area, where if the called in the actuall S'ploding rounds I would have been slaughtered.

My final thoughts, the AI couldn't use FO's and when it does my dead hamster could have used them better, as for the ARVE.. go figure. Any other designers out there have a clue on how at least to make the ARVE's work properly?

frustrated,

mensch

[ 08-20-2001: Message edited by: mensch ]

hmmmmm...try reversing the friendly map edge so they are advancing towards there friendly edge(it is not behind them)

also try making units go to an exit edge so that they have an incentive to run that way. most of the time this makes the ai a little more aggresive.

yes he is right in the opinion about FO's

I played a battle made by Jensrat where I had to attack across a bridge.

And guess who were defending the bridge?

Right, 3 FO's ,in a foxhole in front of the bridge. smile.gif

They were dead meat in 1 turn and had no chance to fire even 1 round :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

hmmmmm...try reversing the friendly map edge so they are advancing towards there friendly edge(it is not behind them)

also try making units go to an exit edge so that they have an incentive to run that way. most of the time this makes the ai a little more aggresive.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ok good tips Russ, but this is an Operation and no battle so you have no control on which edge is frendly, thus making the exit edge moot as well.

but thanks for the help.

mensch

I've had some success getting the AI to use FO teams, but only by designing the scenario with this problem in mind. If you put FO teams towards the rear, in positions with good, long-range LOS, and they spot enemy troops within the first few turns, they will usually stay put and call fire.

In terms of AI use, the worst place to put FO teams seems to be at the front line, where they are usually killed before they can get their guns firing (don't let the AI place units or you will likely get this sort of setup).

The time I've seen the AI reliably call fire with AFOs is if it spots a towed gun of any kind. This will draw every piece of artillery the AI has, and is actually a nice, gamey strategy to get the AI to waste it's artillery on some light gun early in a battle. :>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>mensch wrote:

it moves up FO's even if a HQ has line of sight to the target and the command line is to the FO which lies safe in cover.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

FO indirect fire is not affected by an HQ in the same was as mortar indirect fire is. FOs can fire anywhere on the map without LOS, and being in command of an HQ with LOS makes no difference. Mortars on the other hand can only fire with direct or indirect LOS.

Aside from the AI firing Artillery at towed guns, it seems to be hesitant to use it until its Global Morale dips a bit.

To make up for that, I give some huge caliber arty, like 170 or 210mm, so that when it actually uses it (usually only expends a handful of rounds-unless firing vs. a towed gun) it actually does real damage.