Seek Hull-down

You have to place the Seek Hull Down waypoint to the spot relative to which you want to obtain the hull down position. But be sure that there are some hills or drops in the ground between the tank and desired spot to which you want to achieve hull down position.

Originally posted by ciks:

You have to place the Seek Hull Down waypoint to the spot relative to which you want to obtain the hull down position. But be sure that there are some hills or drops in the ground between the tank and desired spot to which you want to achieve hull down position.

THe way I understand it you have to set a "move path" and end point then the tank will move along that path and stop when it comes to the first spot along that path that is hull down RELATIVE TO THE END POINT of the path that you set.

BUT the tank is NOT hunting it is moving

does that help?

is that the correct interpretation of the Hull down command?

-tom w

I tried the hull down command a few times, and every time I would spot where I wanted him to go hull down. But the tank (reg or vet) would continue to roll right up ontop of the hill and get waxed by someone.

I got so used to looking for hull down positions in CMBO, that I wont bother with the command anymore. Id rather do it myslef.

Chad

I've had no problem with this command. The only thing I've run into is when the AFVs don't really have anywhere to hull down to where I chose, they keep advancing to that point. But all I do is just abort the order once I realize they are advancing too far.

It's not an automatic tool by any means, you still need to look at the lay of the land and make sure there are at least something like a hill or slope that's going to get your AFV a hull down position. You also have to make sure that the point you choose is going to let the AFV have LOS at some point. i.e. you couldn't place the hull down point just behind a hill.

Also, the AFV will stop automatically once it's hull down to the point you chose. When they do stop, just grab the LOS tool and place it where you put the hull down order to, and your AFV should say hull down now.

Hope that helps somewhat.

One other danger of the command - be VERY sure that the point you designate as wanting-to-be-hull-down-to (we need a term for this; call it the "target point") will be in your tank's LOS when you crest the hill, or whatever.

Example: There's an enemy gun in a woodline; your tank is behind a rise. You want to drive up the rise until you are hull-down to the gun and engage from there. But you, in your newbietude, select a target point that is a little bit too deep in the woods. Result: your tank crests the rise, still can't see the target point, and so motors blithely forward to its death.