New Detonator XP drivers. Anyone tried them with CM yet?

BeWary

I'm still using v6.50 on my Win98SE machines, since it seems so many other people have been having problems with the newer drivers and CM. But I think it's time to upgrade, especially if the new drivers increase performance as advertised.

So anyone try them out? Do they work "completely" with CM? How about with and without FSAA enabled? Any abnormalities at all?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks,

BeWary

Edit - I need to read these posts more closely...

What specific Nvidia-based video card do you have ?

The 21.81's seem to work fine in Win98SE, with the exception of an initial display anomaly (the first time you move in the 3D screens you get a 'repeating' effect) that is cleared up by ESC'ing to the desktop and back when running FSAA. I can't see any problems (a quick cursory look) with FSAA off.

Under Win2K there is still the 'white transparency issue'. The display actually has less glitches in the 2D info areas with FSAA enabled (if I remember correctly - maybe that's 14.70).

If you do a search on '21.81' you may find some more posts.

[ 09-22-2001: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I use the 7.58 WHQL drivers with my 32MB Geforce2 GTX. This driver gives me noticeably better performance than 6.5 and CM works COMPLETELY. I have no problems even with FSAA enabled. The brand new drivers, 21.??, slowed my system down by more than 600 points on 3DMark2000. I didn't even test them on CM after seeing this performance hit. DirectX 7 in conjunction with the 7.58 drivers is the best combination I've found. DirectX 8 works fine with the 7.58 drivers in CM but it's slightly slower (200 points 3DMark2000).

Treeburst155 out.

Well, I haven't tried the 7.58 drivers, but I installed the 21.81 drivers on my Win98SE AMD Thunderbird system with a GeForce2 Pro, and CM runs fine with and without FSAA. I've noticed though that 2x FSAA doesn't look as good as before. I think I'll try 4x FSAA tonight and see if it looks better. I should also note that escaping to the desktop and going back in seems to work fine, though it hasn't been necessary since I haven't seen any graphical quirks to correct.

The drivers are actually having fewer quirks then the older 6.50 drivers I was using, in CM and Half-Life (Day of Defeat mod). As far as performance goes, I don't know if they're any faster than the 6.50 drivers. I haven't done any formal benchmarks, and I think my system runs my games so fast that at this point I can't tell a difference.

Thought some of you still on the fench would like to know.

BeWary

P.S. I haven't noticed a speed increase with FSAA turned on in Half-Life. It still occasionally makes me lose frames in OpenGL, so I'm back to running Half-Life with FSAA off.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: BeWary ]

Hey, i have installed the new nvidia driver and dont have any problems with it. However, when i ran CM after i installed the driver it prompted me to choose a resolution. I set my resolution for the game to 800x600 on accident, i used to have it on 1024x728. It looks weird now, im too used to the older resolution. I want to change it back to 1024x728 but i dont know how. Can anyone help me? I know i could always reinstall and choose the right resolution but i got like a million mods for it. Thx for reading Meaty

Sure, I'll help. Just go into your CM directory and delete the file called "CM Prefs". That's not the exact name, but you'll see it; there aren't many files in the root of the CM directory.

When you restart CM it'll prompt you for a new resolution. Just make sure to set your Windows desktop to 1024x768 before you start CM. Also, deleting the prefs file will return game options to their default values. For instance, if you had trees turned off, they'll be back on. But it should only take a couple minutes to reset those to your liking.

BeWary

I tried the new 20.81 (?) drivers again today just for the heck of it and did not suffer the huge performance hit I spoke of earlier. Go figure. I must have botched the install somehow. In fact, this latest attempt shows 3DMark2001 up 200 and 3DMark 2000 remained the same.

I also have no trouble with FSAA in CM with the new drivers. It does appear that 2x2 FSAA isn't quite as good as it used to be, but may be a bit faster. The targeting/movement lines seem to snap to the cursor a little quicker than before.

Win ME, DX8, 32MB Asus 7700 Geforce2 GTS

Treeburst155 out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Pentium III, W2K, nVidia TNT M 64, 17” screen.

Have just upgraded 7.58 -> 21.81 => marked improvement in the graphics. In fact the

game is now playable! I do get the repeating effect and can fix it by escaping and

returning.

Will need to try reinstalling with the desktop set at 1024x768 to see if that fixes the

problem I too have with the resolution.

What is galling is that my next-door-neighbour: Pentium III, W98, something

Voodoo, 14” screen has always and consistently had a better picture than me.

Finally, I can’t figure out what FSAA is! Is it the shift-C thing?

Hi CSO_Talorgan,

I'm glad to hear your TNT is running faster for you. It's very possible your neighbor's Voodoo is faster than your TNT. If he has a Voodoo 3 or higher, it's probably faster. The Voodoo cards generally add a slight fuzzy look to 3D graphics (at least the earlier cards did), so perhaps this is why you think his looks better?

He may also have FSAA turned on (done in Windows, NOT CM), which would also help make it look better. FSAA means Full Screen Anti-Aliasing, and it basically gets rid of the jagged lines produced by the pixels by changing the color of the pixels to more closely match that of the surrounding pixels. The GeForce 2+ cards do this, as well as the Voodoo 5 cards. I'm sure your card does not support FSAA. Unfortunately, even if it did, you probably wouldn't want to use it. FSAA really taxes the NVidia cards, and can dramatically lower your FPS.

You may want to consider getting a newer 3D card. They are pretty cheap now. I'd recommend a GeForce2 GTS or Pro or a GeForce3 if you have the money. 3Dfx is no longer in business, so it's probably not wise to buy a Voodoo.

Hope that helped.

BeWary