Had an odd result in "Singling Shootout"...

I just finished playing "Singling Shootout" against the AI as US + 50% forces.

I took a pounding and was losing badly when, with two turns left in the game, the AI surrendered and the result flashed on the screen:

"AXIS SURRENDERS, AXIS MINOR VICTORY"

The score was something like 59-41 in favor of the Germans.

All of the remaining German forces had surrendered to me. Their morale level had sunk to 9%.

:confused:

I've never seen a result like this before--should I interpret this as a win or a loss?

Who would be declared the winner in this case in a tournament game??

[ March 10, 2002, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: wbs ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by redwolf:

A tournament can choose any scoring it wants, especially if custom scenarios are used.

Usually the victory points are taken as is, and you can win even if you surrender.

The only tournment I ever participated in use the actual number of the victory points as the only criteria.

In that case we played 9 games against other players (there were ten participants) and the one with the GREATEST total points from all 9 games won the tourney. That way score keeping was VERY simple.

EVERY single victory point counted for something, so in the case above one player would add 59 to his cumulative total and the other player would add 41 to his cumulative total, simple really smile.gif

Other tournaments may be scored differently of course.

This VERY issue should be considered when discussing how to determine scoring in tournments and now that this "result" is well sort of "on the record" we can refer to it if future discussions about tournament scoring.

I learned in that tourney that Kiwi Joe is a VERY skilled player of the German side and he kicked my butt big time!

Anyone want a REAL challenge?

See if you can get a game with Kiwi Joe.

-tom w</font>

Originally posted by Shadow 1st Hussars:

You lost to the AI with +50% forces? For shame! ;)

I was guessing he meant the AI had +50% forces--but maybe not. The result he cites is more consistent with having a really large Allied force that got hammered enough to lose despite imposing enough losses on the AI to cause surrender.

Better not enter any tourneys till he can at least beat the AI w/o bonuses either way.

Alright, alright, here's what happened--

Played the scenario once as US. Normal forces on both sides. Won Tactical Victory.

Played second time as the US side, and increased the US forces by 50%. I wanted to try something a little different (tactics-wise) and wanted to offset the number of tanks that would bog and become immobilized.

Unfortunately for me, it seems as though nearly EVERY @#^$& Sherman bogged, and they then became tasty Panther snacks. :(

I eventually did capture all three flags, and force the Germans to surrender, but my own losses were so heavy that the result was as 'Combined Arms' described.

I just thought I'd mention the experimental nature of the second game before y'all tripped over yourselves and each other trying to line me up for a game... ;)