Looking for "Full Assault" on Hard Defense OPERATION

Okay, what I am looking for here is an operation where the attacker must plow through a full well-built defense. I am hoping for one that includes big mine-fields, lots of barbed wire, outlying scouts, fall-back positions, maybe a counter-attack. You know, the works -- ASSAULT in the truest sense of the word.

Does such an operation exist?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Does such an operation exist?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would it exist? Operations take place over a period of a day or several days, right? Are there assault battles like the one you describe that took that long?

No idea myself, but would be very interested in finding out if this sort of thing happened.

What you describe sounds absolutely awful for the soldiers involved, and unless there was no choice, (like with D-Day landings for example) as a commanding general, I'd rather go around.

Make it so Barticus! Make it so!

I am thinking an advance front, dual belts of minefields, bunkers everwhere, lots of barbed wire. A veritable FORTRESS, with each battle peeling off the layers.

The first would be the outer line

Then the covered mine fields

Then the main line

Then a counterattack.

Then driving right into the city or whatever, taking out the last resistance.

And maybe finally a retreat.

I would give the Allies Air support.

Not much armour for the Axis, but Lots of bunkers, mines and barbed wire.

Make the map REALLY LONG so the Allies have to push through the hard way.

OH YEAH!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Barticus:

Herr Leader;

We thinks a lot alike :D. I will cook something up at home quick like, and email it to you sometime this weekend after a bit of preliminary playtesting.

Bart<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You two are so cute together :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terence:

You two are so cute together :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Awwwwwwww. Whatsa matta Terry, are you feeling left out big guy?

:D:D **GROUP HUG*** :D:D

There now, doesn't that make you feel better?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Great Barticus! I have done a coupla scenarios but have never tried an operation. Maybe we could collaborate?

Terence, you.... oh never mind. :rolleyes:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's ok. I have that special goooey feeling now.

I have been Working on a Sigfried line for about 6 months, Just as you ordered.. Still have some bugs to work out.. But i have one Operation that starts as a Bridge Assault and Finishes in a Village that you can test right now it is based on Huertgen Forest terrain.... Also i have one that is ready to Playtest called "Defense" it is scenario and as tough as it gets.... You are at the Tennesse Manuver Area , It is an allied training scenario(if you get a draw you get a win).. it is not for the faint of heart.. Myself and My partner are going to release a scenario pack that will include all but the big operation i have been working on plus a couple of his that he designed in the next couple of weeks..

Michael "Gonzo" Gonzalez

I don't have any operations with prepared positions, but there are two pretty brutal ops on my Canadian site - Walcheren Causeway has you advancing along a mile long causeway only 60 metres wide into automatic weapons fire...the far end is fortified with bunkers and roadblocks.

You could try my Little Stalingrad operation - it has been playtested from the German side, though I still have some work to do on the next version; it is broken into short length battles, as was suggested here. Lots of buildings (it deals with the fighting in the city of Ortona) and little room for tanks or infantry to maneuver.

I don't think we will see any decent assaults against prepared positions in CM1 simply because barbed wire cannot be eliminated, there are no flail tanks, engineers can't blow through roadblocks, etc., etc. These obstacles are simply too tough in CM1 to allow a decent large scale scenario highlighting their use.