Need best PCI/fog-capable Vidcard for CMBB

Does anyone know of a good FOG-capable PCI vid-card for CMBB?

I have:

Intel Celeron 566mhz

191 MB RAM (64/65 MB still avail.)

12 MB Shared Vid-RAM

Windows 98SE

I've seen stuff like:

* Visiontek Xtasy GeForce4 MX420

* PNY Verto GeForce4 MX420 64MB PCI

I've also heard that the Voodoo 5 is good, but that seems to be out of circulation. My thanks to Capt.Wacky and Jarmo for their answers on my GenForum thread.

Any other helpful hints/stories/links would help.

Thanks!

Kevin

[ September 10, 2002, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Silvio Manuel ]

Can your system accept a standard ATX motherboard? The ECS P6S5AT supports Celerons as well as Pentium III chips (though not apparently the 133MHz Tualatins) along with both SDRAM and DDR. It also comes with an AGP slot and integrated audio. It can generally be found at under $50US. Could make for a decent upgrade path. Get the mobo and pick whatever AGP video card you like now. Later on, upgrade the CPU or replace the SDRAM with some DDR and eventually transfer the DDR mem and video card to your next system.

Just a thought.

- Chris

All the Geforce cards are fog capable. Avoid ATI Radeon cards, my understanding is that they don't support fog properly. And I'd avoid Voodoo cards since the company is now out of business and support and drivers down the road will be problematic.

Best bet: either of the Geforce4 cards you listed, or a Geforce3 Ti, assuming you can find a PCI version.

- Old Dog

I have a PIV 1.5 with 256 megs of ram and a supposedly out of date TnT2 vid card.When I run cmbo I can max tree's,make building's transparent and all the weather variables with no apparent problem's and so far have no issues with the cmbb demo in fact the only game I have'nt been able to get to run without major stuttering is IL-2

I agree with old dog the geforce cards are a good choice. I recommend them to my customers, and have put a lot of them in machines. I have hardly any problems out of them, and they support every game that is out there, { that I'm aware of} haven't had any compliants,I would suggest a geforce2 mx400 64 card {if your on a budget}, there is a little prob with the new nividia driver {when playing CMBO or CMBB, you have to alt tab out and then come back in due to not being able to read any of the battles or ops}. But I just use the previous driver, and have no problems at all {and that's playing any of the games. I'm sure someone else will disagree with me {there is a lot of that between folks I've noticed on this forum}but I've been running my puter company for a good while, and I know how to run it, hope it this helps you out

I bought the PC-Gamer mag that had the demo of battlefield 1942 on it but it would'nt run,I mean literally the disc would'nt run,it would start to run,then stop the cd drive and lock up the system,something I've found hard to do with XP.As for moh I could'nt get the demo to run so...at least I've got the PS-2 version[sorry to reveil that I'm a consoler].But I can run cfs-2 and Panzer Elite run's good{unlike the wingmen,in my opinion the weakest part of the program and the reason I don't play it].

My old 8MB ATI Rage never supported fog (still doesn't) and needed a driver update before I could play any night scenarios. I love my 64MB G-Force 3. All effects and actions in CMBO, including the use of high res mods are great. The new G-Force 4s are undoubtedly even better.

[ September 10, 2002, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: jagcommander ]