where did my arty go?!

Originally posted by moosehead:

Im playing scenario attack on moon. I have a 81mm spotter. I target without LOS. My arty is all falling WAY WAY off the map. I mean ALL of it! Is this a new feature in arty spotting without LOS? Or a nasty bug?

Mister Manual says it's "a new feature in arty spotting without LOS".

-dale

Im playing scenario attack on moon. I have a 81mm spotter. I target without LOS. My arty is all falling WAY WAY off the map. I mean ALL of it! Is this a new feature in arty spotting without LOS? Or a nasty bug?

Thanks, moosehead. Your lot fell directly on my opponents advance! Gotta love this new 'virtual dimension' map feature...

Originally posted by Seanachai:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by moosehead:

Thanks, moosehead. Your lot fell directly on my opponents advance! Gotta love this new 'virtual dimension' map feature...</font>

This is a "new feature" but really it is how it should have worked anyway. Basically when the guns get the target wrong, they don't spread out their pattern, the pattern is just somewhere that it shouldn't be smile.gif

I recall reading a number of discussions about this in the CMBO forums. Personally, I like it but it's frustrating. Means I need TRPs or LOS. That wouldn't be so bad, but you cannot buy TRPs in a QB on the attack or in an ME unless you use the "unrestricted" [edit: or so I've been told] setting. I really wish that this would be tweaked so you could buy TRPs any time.

[ September 29, 2002, 02:14 AM: Message edited by: Cameroon ]

Who reads the manual! :rolleyes:

And dont you think the spotter would call off the arty when he realized it was so far off target? It should drop maybe 2 -3 volleys, then realize his coordinates are way off, and re-adjust. Not, just drop the whole 200 rounds out into space! :eek:

Originally posted by KNac:

how in the hell is the spotter going to realize that the shells are falling far away if he hasn´t LOS to target? fuzzy logic ;)

No no, KNack, he's got a nifty little 3D map that he can rotate and zoom in and out on that shows him exactly what's happening everywhere ;)

Well Im no rocket scientist, but if I had a TRP coordinates, and all I wanted to do was move it a liitle from there , I think I could figure it out, even if I didnt have LOS. And when they send the shells over, and I hear them dropping half a mile to the east I think I would know my math was wrong, and would call it off, instead of wasting all the ammo. Seems that the AI is giving the player the reins in this case, but decides to think for the player in other situations.

And come on, your telling me you sat down and read the manual 3 times before playing. You would be no fun at xmas morning! ;)

Well Im no rocket scientist, but if I had a TRP coordinates, and all I wanted to do was move it a liitle from there , I think I could figure it out, even if I didnt have LOS. And when they send the shells over, and I hear them dropping half a mile to the east I think I would know my math was wrong, and would call it off, instead of wasting all the ammo. Seems that the AI is giving the player the reins in this case, but decides to think for the player in other situations.

And come on, your telling me you sat down and read the manual 3 times before playing. You would be no fun at xmas morning! ;)

You can't bloody well adjust, I imagine, because you issued your orders during the first turn, to an LOS zone, when the targeting line tells you something on the order of 'No LOS, Cannot Be Adjusted Later'. As far as I know, this inability to adjust only occurs if you order fire on the first turn.

This represents, I believe, a 'submitted before the battle' fireplan. You've told the Divisional/Regimental/Whatever battery where you want the stuff to go, and that is where it will go. The lads up the line have given you what you asked for, and now you must live with it.

I believe the trade-offs are that you will see less of a delay on the fire mission.

Next time, don't assign fire missions on the very first turn.

I could perhaps be wrong, but I have only encountered this 'no adjustment allowed' phenomenon when the order is issued on the first turn.

And I love reading manuals, especially for games like this. This manual is actually a joy to read.

Mind, it could have used a bit more Peng Challenge Thread insouciance (regarding people who don't read the manual, for example), but it was a treat.

moosehead,

If your shoot is preplanned prep fire, it is essential, absent TRPs, that your spotter have LOS. You've seen what can happen otherwise. This is from direct experience gained during the So Cal Sneak preview. Prep fire may not be adjusted after the setup phase is over and the game has begun. Thus, it is to your profound benefit to experiment with FO placement and LOS during setup.

If it's any consolation, extensive studies and field trials by the U.S. Army found that the FO typically misestimated his own location by 300 meters. This discovery led to such things as the Ground Locator Laser Designation System, GPS, etc.,

all with the goal of accurately locating the observer relative to the target.

Regards,

John Kettler

How about this, also from the 'moon' scenario. I ordered a preplanned artillery barrage, which was the only option, since the spotters would never get LOS and the delay would be something like 13 minutes otherwise. The arty fell on target for four or five salvos, and then suddenly it started falling 300 meters short onto my guys. That seemed strange. If the guys at corps could get it right to start with, why did they suddenly adjust? Again, there's no way I can cancel or shift this barrage. It wiped out my battalion HQ as well.

It was not a preplanned arty barrage. I was hitting a TRP. I then adjusted it to try and follow the advancing infantry in closer as they moved in. But of course I did not have the TRP or LOS, even though it had just been using a TRP, and I wanted to adjust slightly outside the TRP.