WHY! WHY

I play a game and first time I had a sniper take out anything, Two inf and a mortar.

anywho I could not get my sniper to fire any more?

he would target-in, but not fire.

HE aslo had 9 ammo. ( I think the brob was, he was empty and did not read so.)

Also I can never seem to lay smoke with anything?

It is dry out.

what do I have to do other than put him on smoke and target him in with it?

I need my smoke plz HELP!

THX

Originally posted by waltero:

I play a game and first time I had a sniper take out anything, Two inf and a mortar.

anywho I could not get my sniper to fire any more?

he would target-in, but not fire.

HE aslo had 9 ammo. ( I think the brob was, he was empty and did not read so.)

Also I can never seem to lay smoke with anything?

It is dry out.

what do I have to do other than put him on smoke and target him in with it?

I need my smoke plz HELP!

THX

RE: smoke

What are you smoking with? It sounds like you're trying to smoke with a gun or tank. If so, usually what happens is that the Tac AI quickly changes the smoke order for one that it deems higher priority. Even if it sees one infantry unit it may switch the smoke order to a HE target order.

[ August 05, 2002, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Pak40 ]

Hmmm.

It's a little hard to decipher what the problem might be . . . but . . .

Maybe the sharpshooter won't fire because he's sure to get creamed if he makes his position known to the enemy. (There is a tank parked 50m away?)

Maybe the enemy is too close?

Maybe he cannot affect the target you are trying to hit. (Buttoned up tank?)

As to smoke, sharpshooters cannot use/shoot smoke. (I'm sure you know this, but that's what you seem to be asking.)

Any unit that can utilize smoke has SMOKE as one of it's commands/orders.

For a tank, just select smoke, and target a spot within LOS (just like the regular targetting tool) and let fly. If another threat appears, the tank may switch back to HE/AP before shooting any smoke.

Also, make sure your units have "S" (smoke) rounds. (Another obvious one, I know.) ;)

Gpig

Oh yea,

I seem to recall, from a very old thread, that snipers will go into a self preserve mode. This will happen if enemy units are too close and could discover the location of the sniper if he were to fire. I don't use snipers enough to know the distance at which enemy units are deemed "too close", but it's probably less than 50 meters or so.

My best success with snipers is to put them into a good position (hidden, out of the direct action, with good LOS to choice enemy units like unbuttoned tanks hq units or support units, not too close to enemy) and let the AI handle them.

It can be hard to tell from CMBO's AAR how effective any particular unit really is or was. This is especially true for snipers who rarely get confirmed kills and who often show as having zero kills in the AAR.

If you sniper is pinning FO's or buttoning enemy tanks he is doing a good job towards helping your force entire to win the battle.

Hmm ok I guess that was not the prob with smoke(thought it had to be).

I can see enemy smoke, nobody can see my smoke?

Oh well I will keep on messing with it.

I guess it all depends on what to do with snipers, depending on a guys strategy.(not the same in every case)

When I let the enemy come in and side swipe me ( or if he gets a flank) I use them as spotter killers)

I have used this in three games now I cant beleave it worked!

Anouther question. why does my keybord commands not work all the time?

I can not give units orders with my keybord?

this only happens some of the time, in a couple games it did not work then in middle of game it does?

I ask agian WHY! WHY!

that smoke really gets me down!

But I guess I learn how to do thing without smoke :rolleyes:

thx agian :confused:

Hmm. Sounds like a technical problem, now. :(

I'd post your questions in the technical forum and see if someone can help you out there.

Is your CAP-LOCK key on? ???

Just wonderin'. smile.gif

Gpig

Originally posted by waltero:

that smoke really gets me down!

But I guess I learn how to do thing without smoke

Put a new screen in your pipe, or try a lighter instead of matches. Maybe your makin's got dried out, throw a slice of apple into the bag, roll it up and keep it closed for several hours. If that does not help, maybe give up smoking for a couple days.