Armored panzer granediers

If you try to move your infantry in half tracks across open terrain you are going to be in for a world of hurt. Those Soviet AT rifles may not do much good against a Tiger, but they will quickly route or KO half tracks. The same goes for the dinky little 45mm AT guns. The main benefit is getting your infantry to the front line on a large map where the half tracks can hide behind treelines and hills. You also get the extra MG support once your troops have deployed and are ready to advance on foot.

The halftracks are still much too expensive for my taste, especially when considering victory points when you also have crew casulties.

But they make a lot more sense. As you say there is now a real-world problem to solve, that of MG fire, which can be solved nicely with APCs given the right circumstances.

They are also not as threatend as in CMBO, because small penetrations do not lead to knockout that easily. I didn't really test but I think there is also no a high chance of hitting a halftrack with a mortar anymore. In CMBO you could reliably kill a vehicle within one turn when the mortar was regular and you have a 2+combat HQ or a veteran mortar with 1+combat HQ.

Of course, the MG on the halftrack now also does some work. For example, they can properly supress one enemy unit while the flamethrowers jump out of it.

I didn't test that either but I think the German APC now have the "goog going in difficult ground" attribute set, so they may be plenty fast as well.