Diesel engines in CM

Originally posted by Hans:

Diesel grogs

When heavy vehicles gun their engies (from stop to fast or even "hunt") shouldn't their be an awful roar and a puff of bluish smoke?

Yes, for both. It actually would be black smoke.

Once the engine was running at a *constant* rpm this exhuast would go away. As hydraulics saw very little use in those days, I expect that there was a constant rev up/down to allow for mechanical engage/disengage for travel, turret rotation etc. This would make these tanks easy targets for planes, recon etc.

Btw, to include this in CMBO/CMBB would, in my opinion, detract from the game, sorta like your sneaking squad falling into a latrine....to much realism!

KC

I would think that is a intel signature, in my own observer times I detected vehicles by that smoke signature and certainly by the sound.

Yep revving up for power was part of it too.

One of my wife's uncles was a WWII tank mechanic who went forward a lot to recovered knocked out Brit tanks. When I showed him CM, his response was:

Not enough bloody noise, mud and smoke (or words to that effect) : ]

Not enough bloody noise, mud and smoke (or words to that effect) : ]

Now I know Matt did a GREAT job on the sounds and all the sound files in this game are his personal joy smile.gif

They Sound GREAT BUT....

I would like to hear a REAL diesel engine and it should be LOUD and it should be distinctive.

I am not a gun fire sound Grog and I cannot understand ANYTHING any of the men are saying on the battlefield (english only speaker here, appologies to the international community) BUT but I can easily hear the difference between a gas engine and a diesel engine because the bass note in that low revving engine (any diesel) is unmistakeable.

I have been trying to listen for that Diesel sound file in the game and IMHO ALL engine sounds in the the game are the same. I could be wrong ( I hope I am wrong) BUT just maybe in Patch 1.12 (the next one after this first one) there could be a code line for different sounding engines and they could have different .wav files associated with them.

I would like to be wrong on this one, If anyone can tell me they can tell the difference (by listening to their computer speakers) between any of the sounds the different engines in the game make I would LOVE to hear about it. Which engines? Which country? Which tanks? can you tell them apart if you just get a sound contact.

This is not such a stretch....really, it was well known (at least to my father), that the distinct sounds of different German bombers that few over London could be easily identified (by the sound of thier engines) in the black of night without ever seeing the aircraft. There were "listeners" that sat on roof tops all night long and listened to detect the different kinds of German bombers (just by the sound of their engines) that flew over England in the nighttime.

I have no similiar reference to sound identification on the battlefield, but it would be my guess that tankers and expecially tank drivers could tell from the sound of an engine what kind of tank they could hear even when they could not see it.

I would like to be able to listen to the sound contact of a tank and (in the game) train myself to identify different sounds of engines from differing sound contacts.

anyone else????

I would settle for a Diesel engine sound clearly distinguishable from a Gas engine sound.

your comments?

-tom w

[ November 10, 2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

Yes, for both. It actually would be black smoke.

Once the engine was running at a *constant* rpm this exhuast would go away. As hydraulics saw very little use in those days, I expect that there was a constant rev up/down to allow for mechanical engage/disengage for travel, turret rotation etc. This would make these tanks easy targets for planes, recon etc.

m10smoker.jpg

Claus B

Speaking of diesel engines does CMBB have anything dealing with extremely cold weather in Russia and Finland. In the snowy scenarios do the AFV's have trouble starting. Diesel engines can have real problems in very cold weather if the diesel fuel is of poor quality. So CMBB does a lot with bogging now but anything with the weather other than movement speed and visibility? Didn't the Germans have problems with oil freezing in their tanks and other vehicles?

Originally posted by Quinxi:

In the snowy scenarios do the AFV's have trouble starting. Diesel engines can have real problems in very cold weather if the diesel fuel is of poor quality. So CMBB does a lot with bogging now but anything with the weather other than movement speed and visibility? Didn't the Germans have problems with oil freezing in their tanks and other vehicles?

I think you can expect all vehicles in a CMBB to have their engines started before the battle begins.

Noooooooo!

I want the command at the beginning of every game to allow one to rush their crews towards their tanks Le Mans style then hit the command to "start your engines". This sounds like incredible fun and on top of that, if some don't start then have the additional command to crank start the engine.

I couldn't think of anything more exciting!

Regards

Jim R.

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

[QB]is that it??

Where are all those "Diesel Grogs" that should be posting and bitching and whinning in this thread.

I can't believe I am the only Diesel Grog in a commmunity of WWII armour enthusiasts??!! :confused:

oh well.....

I tried

-tom w

==================================================

Tom,

I don't want to burst your bubble.....but!

I've been around *modern* heavy equipment just about all my life, well since I was 15. smile.gif

It is my opinion that you would not be able to pinpoint which tank was coming your way by the sound of the engine, the exhaust maybe, but not the engine. As an example, in todays highway tracters there is predominantly 3 engines; Cat, Cummins and Detroit(GM). Each has its own distinct sound or rattle(call it what you will) at idle, the further you get away from them the more difficult it becomes to identify one from the other. Even if you hear one coming through the streets of suburbia at the speed limit, you know its a truck but not which engine he is running!

On the other hand, I know from listening to father's and his buddies war stories that there was a definate difference in the sound of British and German tanks. But, without line of sight, they could not tell which tank it was, hence, Fog of War. smile.gif

Hope this helps somehow,

KC

disclaimer: I'm talking North American trucks, and yes I know there are other diesel engines available, I'm just not going to name 'em all! tongue.gif

Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

no problem KC smile.gif

I was looking for more accuruate sounds for different engines in the game, I guess that would likely border on the impossible BUT perhaps it is not that hard to have a sound file for gas engines and a VERY different sound file for Diesel engines?

smile.gif

-tom w

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

is that it??

Where are all those "Diesel Grogs" that should be posting and bitching and whinning in this thread.

I can't believe I am the only Diesel Grog in a commmunity of WWII armour enthusiasts??!! :confused:

oh well.....

I tried

-tom w

in the original cmbo, the sound for engines was really fricking loud. when someone postsed how to mod it to be quiet, i was on it like me at my lunch during work time.

I have worked in the auto industry since i was 15 years old with heavies and light vehicles. For trucks, heavy plant equipment and large diesel engines you can tell the difference between them from the engine/exhaust sound - but it takes a while to be familiar with them. For light vehicles and cars is is almost impossible these days because of emmission control systems and effective mufflers...except for a Porsche or Ferrari ;)

Krazy Canuk is correct - A diesel engine emmits black smoke when under load (Accelerating) due to carbon and fuel particles that have not been combusted properly, blue smoke generally is a sign of oil burning via the piston rings or valves (For gasolene and diesel engines). Both occur most likely when the engine is cold.

Although it would be a neat feature in CM i doubt if it would be done because there were so many types of engines involved. With a large diesel or petrol engine the sound can be different depending on the type of exhaust system fitted. In other words you could have a Chrysler V16 engine fitted into a Sherman that would have a distinct sound, however, put the same engine into a different Tank chassis and it could sound entirely different depending on the exhaust system/muffler/baffle fitted as well as the length, bore and thickness of the exhaust pipe - in addition the location of the engine in the chassis and the sound protection around it will also effect the emmited noise. Also, the size and type of air intake and filter have a bearing on engine sound levels.

I must admit, it would be a cool feature, and as an engine enthusiast i would like to hear more distinctive sounds...but alas, its not very practical in CM.

CDIC

Perhaps what we need then is a

Gasoline engine sound for tanks (generic)

Diesel sound for each nations tanks

It would be a nice feature but as some have said is it realistic to include it?

I would think that a smoke burst would be easy to model and add to the game. A good way to tell if a tank is abandoned or not!

Glad to see there are some diesel grogs about

Perhaps what we need then is a

Gasoline engine sound for tanks (generic)

Diesel sound for each nations tanks

It would be a nice feature but as some have said is it realistic to include it?

I would think that a smoke burst would be easy to model and add to the game. A good way to tell if a tank is abandoned or not!

Glad to see there are some diesel grogs about

That sounds good to me smile.gif

-tom w