Please God Let there be a fix!!!!

I'm hoping I'm not going to experience a nightmare but here goes. So far BO has been my favorite game that I used to play on my old HP. Recently I just got one of the new cheapie Dells with XP and the Integrated Graphics (no AGP slot!!!). Right away the first game I've tried running is BO but when I run it I get some sort of graphic corruption (I see some sort of fuzzy note about resolution spread about six places on the screen). I also tried running the game with the Windows 98 Compatibility (what my HP had) and all I get is a black screen with a pointer on it. When I ctl+alt+delete out, I get a Unhanded Exception C0000005 At Address: 0053ed9a.

I believe I now have Directx 8.1 in that I can now run 'America's Army' fine.

Solution??????

Thanks!

Solution: don't run in 'Windows 98 compatibility' for one. There's no real reason to do this.

I assume your built in video is an Intel 845G. You should check your documentation or Dell's online support to make sure. Your issue may be up to the video drivers that Intel has released. It's possible that there may be no current solution with your current video setup, which would either require patience on your part or purchasing a PCI video card (GeForce 2 MX or possibly a GeForce 4 MX if you can find one).

The latest version of the Intel 845G drivers for XP is 11.4.1, which was released on Nov 15, 2002. It's also possible that going down a version or two may actually be better, but I don't know in this particular case (sometimes the latest drivers actually breaks things that previously worked).

Thanks for taking the time to give advice -- I had hoped that loading the latest drivers from Intel would do the trick --- evidently not... drat!!

Darn Intel for their stupid Integrated Graphics and Dell for selling a machine with no AGP slot for easy video upgrade (and not making that point obvious)... Maybe I'll try the PCI card. Anyone know how well the PCI cards really work -- they don't need to be great but are they ok and do they support CBM?? Guess I'll post the question also as a seperate topic

I've recently got access to an Intel 845G board with a P4 running Windows 2000.

The latest drivers from Intel worked with CMBB 1.0 (along with DirectX 8.1, which is already a part of XP). I ran at 800x600 @85Hz vertical refresh and everything seems to be running fine (so far - just a quick test).

The 'spread' of images on your screen suggests that you've selected a resolution or possibly a refresh rate that is too high for your monitor to handle. How do you have your monitor defined in XP ('Plug and Play' or 'Default' or a specific model) ? CM will start at your current desktop resolution, but it will use the highest possible refresh rate that your video driver has built in. If your monitor isn't properly defined in Windows this can result in the weird display that you're seeing since you could be running 160 or 120 Hz for your refresh rate.

A PCI video card would probably still be the best bet since those will be quite a bit faster than the built-in 845G video (which is also limited in the amount of memory it uses for textures). You'll also get fog, which isn't supported by any of the Intel integrated video chips as far as I've seen.

Sorry I didn't answer sooner -- was on a business trip. Right now it is set as 'Default' Monitor. Being that the monitor is about 8 years old, I tried setting the refresh rate to 60 -- still doesn't work. Realizing that I'm pretty computer illiterate, any other advice smile.gif

The fact that you can run it on the machine you were using is very encouraging -- sounds that I just need help tweeking the monitor settings.

What model of monitor do you have ? Do you know if there is a 'profile' for this monitor in WinXP ? If you can't find a specific model, you may want to try some sort of generic model or 'Plug and Play' (some monitors, even 8 years ago, were plug and play).

What resolution are you using ? Realize that you don't have to pick the first resolution that is displayed. You can click on 'skip' or just let that resolution time out (approx. 5 seconds or so) if you can't see anything clearly on the screen.

Since you have an older monitor it probably won't be able to handle the higher refresh rates very well. I suggest trying the 800 x 600 resolution with your 845G. However, it may take awhile to get to this resolution depending on what your current desktop resolution is. CM will try the highest available refresh rate at your current desktop resolution and then proceed down from there to lower refresh rates until it gets to 60Hz. At this point it then switches to the next lower resolution, but at the highest refresh rate for that resolution. With a 'Default' monitor definition that may mean that some ultra high refresh rates may be tried since DirectX/Windows doesn't know that your monitor is incapable of displaying this resolution and instead relies on the highest refresh rate that the video adapter is capable of.

Being stuck with a PCI card (no AGP slot) on my current system, I can attest to the fact that you can run CMBO just fine with one. I had a Maxi Gamer Cougar, that bit the dust, and it was replaced with a Kyro based Prophet, both PCI cards. The Kyro card has some issues with transparency, but works fine. The Nvidia based card was better.

What model Dell did you get? I am going to purchase a 4550 at 2.66 GHZ with an MX or Ti card in the AGP slot. I have read about some issues with dells and CM, so I am getting a little edgy about it....

Thanks for the advice -- turns out it was the monitor and the fact that being set as "default" was causing problems. Downloaded the drivers for my old Tatung Monitor and everything appears to be fine now (what a relief :)

I bought a Dell 2350. With 256DDR, CD Burner, and 60Gig Harddrive for $400 and Free Shipping, I thought it was a pretty good deal. Once I install a Geforce PCI card, I'd think it should make for a decent home computer/gaming system.

Long story short, I take back all the curses I threw at Dell when I thought it was the stupid Int. Graphics that were causing my problems (at least for the time being:)