Artillery in a night battle... "gamey"?

Definitely not gamey - two instances where the Brits used massive artillery barrages at night spring to mind - El Alamein and Totalize. In fact at Totalize hundreds of Lancasters added to the inferno by dropping bombs 1000m in front of the leading troops as well. Now I'd like to see that modeled in CM2!

If you want a gamey way of using it at night try this. (Gamey is using the limitation of the game to your benefit).

Have your OP at a 90% or 45% degree angle from the observed point in relation to your home base line.

Arty tends to fall in a pattern like this

.X.

XXX

.X.

.......OP.

So if you call it down on an observed point right in front of the OP and the base line is right behind you, you artillery likely to have shells land on the OP.

If he is slightly off to one side then the chances are he will be able to bring the arty down without being seen by the enemy.

Otherwise arty at night unless it is big stuff and you have a general idea where the enemy is will be wasted.

H

P.s Any more ideas on night fighting please post I need them.

That's a great idea for controlling the arty pattern, and I don't think it's gamey at all. I've tended by force of habit to have my FO facing the enemy, which produces this pattern of shell drops, as I understand it:

x x x

X X X X X X X X

x x x

F O

(Oops, I tried to center the Xs in front of the FO, but the forum editor squeezed everything to the left.)

This, IIRC, is more a quirk of the game engine than an real-life pattern of artillery drops. And sometimes the enemy isn't aligned that way and you end up wasting a lot of your arty fire. What your suggesting would allow us to reorient the arty pattern to make it more effective by simply reorienting the facing of the FO to the enemy. I don't think that's gamey because the game itself is already unrealistic on this point and there's no reason why the horizontal shell-fall pattern should be considered sacrosanct.

Also, I think I know why you want help with night fighting but I am not the right person to help you. I got well and truly clobbered in that scenario, myself.

RE: using artillery at night being gamey. Nah. It happened all the time. In Company Commander, for example, Capt. Charles MacDonald talks about calling down artillery on the sounds of approaching armored vehicles at night. Nobody ever saw the vehicles which pulled back when the shells started landing (they feared flame throwing tanks, which had showed up earlier) but they fired at what they heard. Both sides used night artillery all through the Battle of the Bulge.

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]</p>