Looking for 'free' maps?

No offence to the person on here that advertised quality topographicals but I haven't got a credit card!

I definitely feel the need to design my first scenario/op, but I want to make it as historical as possible, which obviously means I'm in need of a map or two, plus the OOB for September 1944.

I want to portray the opening attacks on the Richwald Forest around Arnhem (excuse my ignorance) and obviously want it to look the part.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: phil stanbridge ]</p>

I don't know about 'free', but check out the 'Arnhem Battlefield Tour' book. Saw it in Barnes and Noble last night, includes a really, really nice foldout map and plenty of photos. A man could go nuts with that sort of thing.

WWB

Hi

I suppose, you mean the "Reichswald", east of Nijmegen. You can find a free on-line topographical map of this arez at following site :

Westwall / Siegfriedline Website

It includes also all the fortifications in that area.

You can acces other regions in the Netherlands by going to following website :

Locatienet NL

It's a Dutch website

Fill in at the righthandside, under "WOONPLAATS :" : the name of the town you're looking for, e.g. Arnhem

click "START"

A list of streetnames will show

click "TOON" (=show")in front of any street name.

e.g. "Kerkstraat" (=Churchstreet) or "Kerkplein"

(=Churchsquare) bring you usually to the center of the town

a map , scale 1/50.000 will show up.

You can select at your left scale 1/25.000

by clicking the N,W,E or S arrow you can center the map on your spot of interest. It's very detailed with height indications. However it shows the present situation.

Hope this helps

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

I definitely feel the need to design my first scenario/op, but I want to make it as historical as possible, which obviously means I'm in need of a map or two, plus the OOB for September 1944.

I want to portray the opening attacks on the Richwald Forest around Arnhem (excuse my ignorance) and obviously want it to look the part.

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: phil stanbridge ]<hr></blockquote>

That mite be hard to do. As the battle for the Reichwald didn't happen till January/February 1945. As British and Canadian forces were not even in Arty range till December 1944. That I do have OOB for. This was part taken as part of Operation Veritable in mid-February by Canadian and British forces. I would type up the OOB, but its long. I am including it in the Rhineland Battle pack, that the Combat Scenario Design Team is working on (the damn thing is taking hours to type).

[ 12-12-2001: Message edited by: Panzerman ]</p>

Hey guys - You've got to give me credit for trying! ;)

What I really want to do (don't laugh). During the Bridge Too Far film there's the bit at the start (near enough) where xxx corps get ambushed by the forest. The book I read also seemed lacking in details so I put two and two together and got five. I wanted to portray this attack and extend it, as xxx corps made their way down that narrow road.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by phil stanbridge:

Hey guys - You've got to give me credit for trying! ;)

What I really want to do (don't laugh). During the Bridge Too Far film there's the bit at the start (near enough) where xxx corps get ambushed by the forest. The book I read also seemed lacking in details so I put two and two together and got five. I wanted to portray this attack and extend it, as xxx corps made their way down that narrow road.<hr></blockquote>

The XXX Corps started their advance from the Belgian town of Leopoldsburg (Bourg Leopold), just north of the canal Albert.

The area from there towards the Dutch border (Valkenswaard), is covered with heather, moors and patches of pine forest.

Allthough not specified in the movie, I guess, that the "forest ambush" depicts the battles that took place around this bordertown, just a few miles of Eindhoven.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Andreas:

McAuliffe, great stuff. Does something like this exist for Belgium?<hr></blockquote>

Unfortunately not, we're still a developping country.

You can order eventually a map at :

NGI - IGN

e-mail address :

sales@ngi.be

You can find an overview of available maps here :

What map do I need?