Nordic Wannabee Tournament - Redux

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ciks:

Happy to report, that i finished my first game vs. Scheer, and i won it despite my two BEEPS killing themselves (it was a night battle).

In what format shoud AARs be submitted?

Can i send in an RTF file with pictures in it?<hr></blockquote>

Pshaw ...

[ Whinemode on ]

But it was really, really close, you forget to mention. And I´ve killed your mighty BEEP with my lousy BEEP alone. Ha !

[ Whinemode off ]

Ummm, I also like to know about the AAR´s. Cant we cooperate on the AAR and then share the points ?

Apart from that, wonderful scenario and ciks is a worthy opponent. Never ever somebody sends me his turns THAT fast. 8)

Scheer out

BTW : Surprisingly I´ve won my second game against that evil genius Strider. He bowed to my superior strategic skills and surrendered after loosing four AFV´s in 40 seconds in our last turn.

Before that I got only a slight advantage, thanks to my big, ugly BEEP which was killing Kraut tanks left and right.

We both agreed on a rematch as soon as Strider finds the time. I´m sure he will then kick my a**,

because I´ve used all my luck in our first game.

Scheer out

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Scheer:

BTW : Surprisingly I´ve won my second game against that evil genius Strider. He bowed to my superior strategic skills and surrendered after loosing four AFV´s in 40 seconds in our last turn.<hr></blockquote>

I think Strider has figured out how to crack Nabla's scoring system, apparently it has something to do with surrender, because he surendered to me too this morning. :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ciks:

I think Strider has figured out how to crack Nabla's scoring system, apparently it has something to do with surrender, because he surendered to me too this morning. :D <hr></blockquote>

PLEASE READ.

I really hope that people surrender only when the are really screwed! Please do not surrender just because it is certain you lost.

Surrendering will in almost all cases cause your win percentage to drop dramatically, even if you are almost destroyed. But surrendering makes all units you have on the map prisoners, which count double. For example, if you have 10 crewmemebers from veteran tanks on the map, and they are broken and you can't do anything with them anymore. Still, if you surrender, they will bring 10 * 8 * 2 = 160 points to the opponent. If you let the game run out and you can move them off the map or the opponent didn't find them, the opponent doesn't get the 160 points. That is more than a small lag is worth.

But, and that is the point here, since all player's score in this tournament depends on the score other players got in the same scenario, you heavily unbalance the scoring system. You make your opponent looking better than he was, and it is unfair to people playing the same scenario as the side of your opponent, but against someone not surrendering.

Please let me know if you have more questions about the point issues in CMBO battles, it is important that you don't screw the scoring system for the whole tournament out of a bad mood.

Thanks!

Mumble.

thinking over it, I think I might want to explain a more basic thing to understand my last posting. Sorry if that is obvious to you.

A battle "lost" in the CMBO meaning can still be a win in the tournament meaning. Because your score is not compared to the opponent's score, but to the players playing the same scenario from the same side.

So if you have a battle where Axis:Allies were the games scored:

Axis:Allies

20:80

25:75

23:77

Than the guy reaching 25 points would have still lost the game, but he would be the winner in the tournament sense, since he scored best in that scenario that side.

Obviously, it would have made a big difference if he had surrendered, which would be a sensible thing to do if this was KO system where only victories count. But in this tournament the surrender drop from 25% to 7% (or so) would make him the looser, although his playing was gaining him victory in the tournament sense, if he just understood the scoing system.

Let me know if there are more questions!

Thank you, Redwolf, for explaining that.

Don't Surrender!! for the reasons Redwolf mentioned above. Always try to withdraw as many guys as you can. The computer will surrender for you eventually. Withdrawal can be an interesting task in itself. Besides, would you surrender your men if you could slip away to fight another day?

The scoring system does take into account, to a certain extent, huge victories and defeats most likely caused by surrenders. It does this by using the median score for each scenario rather than the average score. There can be quite a difference between the median and the average if there are extreme outlier scores, often achieved as a result of surrendering opponents. Also, their are diminishing returns on extreme scores due to the curve generated by the formula.

Treeburst155 out.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]</p>

A couple things here:

You can write AARs in any format you want as long as I can read it using Windows ME. I do not have Microsoft Word, just the standard Wordpad that comes with the OS. This means that occasionally I cannot open .doc files. I think .doc files generated on recent versions of Microsoft Word are the only ones I have problems with, but I'm not sure. I just know that sometimes I can't get into .doc files.

SECURITY!!

Some of you are being a bit too descriptive in your posts. Don't comment on numbers or types of units destroyed, for example. You may be revealing valuable information on OOBs for that scenario. You really can't say much at all without revealing information. At the end all the AARs will be made available and you can discuss to your heart's content.

Treeburst155 out.

Hey Strider,

Take some comfort in knowing that you are not alone in suffering a surrender. I have experienced such defeat in these unbalanced games as well.

It seems that one is left with a rather harsh choice when a dominant opponent is pushing you off the map:

1) Keep your forces on map and hope the game ends before your moral drops below 15.

2) Extract what forces you can which will most likely drop the moral to below 15 anyway but limit the captures to those that are left.

I'll take some icecream with my large slice of humble pie....

White4, you're being a bad boy now. You're talking about specific unit types and numbers. If enough information like this leaks out it might be possible for players to assemble an OOB for the scenarios. Just say something like, "My arty spotter is a real winner. He took out 1/3 of his own guys in one minute." Get the idea? smile.gif

EDIT: On second thought you can't even mention the arty spotter. See how easy it is to blow FOW. I even fell into it while admonishing you about it. Really be careful what you write to this thread.

Treeburst155 out.

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]</p>

Tree, I just finished a game that I saved all the turns of.

1)Would you like a couple of moves attached to any AAR’s for a visual explanation?

2)Would it be all right to exchange passwords with my opponent so we could watch each others setup/moves?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Ricochet ]</p>

Once you have completed a game feel free to exchange passwords and files with your opponent.

You can send in turns with your AARs if you would like, but watch the file size (say 2MB max). If you do, be sure to mention your password in the AAR since they will be distributed to Nabla and Wild Bill. Since they are ONLY the scenario designers, they aren't privy to the passwords. :D

Treeburst155 out.

Just thought I'd repost this :

The LOSERS should send the battle results to me (i.e. Treeburst). Make sure both your's and your opponent's forum nicknames are mentioned. Good Luck, gentlemen; and have fun!

Remember, NO spoilers to this thread!!

I've just finished my first fight and spent the better part of half an hour digging up how to report the result...

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Sgt_Kelly ]</p>