Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Tanks automatically unbuttoning - bug?

I have had a few instances where I want my AFVs buttoned either because they are getting close to enemy infantry or there is incoming arty. I manually button up the vehicles, but they eventually unbutton themselves and the commanders are often killed. I understand that tanks that button themselves will eventually unbutton when they think it is safe to do so, but I wish they wouldn't do this when I want them buttoned. Is this a bug, or is it supposed to work this way?

from my studies of WW2 battle tactics... which is monor, just a hobby...

That isn't a bug but just realisim... rarely do armor units move long distances, or dangerous terrian while bottoned up... from my reading ALOT of the armor units of that time stayed unbuttoned in almost all situations, only taking cover under artillery fire, or close range combat. (Panzer Aces by Frank Kurowski).

so thou its a pain in the ass, its realism at it's best.

Love the game... great job Battlefront.

I've noticed this most often in the 2-man turreted vehicles like the early T-34. The commander will be unbuttoned, but will have to button up to fire the gun (as he and the gunner also have to manually load the gun) and once they are done engaging a target the commander will unbutton once again.

Originally posted by Magnum MGG:

That isn't a bug but just realisim... rarely do armor units move long distances, or dangerous terrian while bottoned up... from my reading ALOT of the armor units of that time stayed unbuttoned in almost all situations, only taking cover under artillery fire, or close range combat. (Panzer Aces by Frank Kurowski).

so thou its a pain in the ass, its realism at it's best

Have to second that. Vision from within the tank was very limited, at best the commander and maybe the driver had some prisms around them to get an idea of what was going on around them, but it's been near impossible to navigate, leave alone coordinate action over a greater distance.

Try the WW2 tanker sim Panzer Elite and compare buttoning up to commanding while looking out of the turret - great difference.

Originally posted by Magnum MGG:

from my reading ALOT of the armor units of that time stayed unbuttoned in almost all situations, only taking cover under artillery fire, or close range combat.

Yeah, but those are precisely the situations I am talking about. That's when I want them to button up, but they won't stay that way.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Yeah, but those are precisely the situations I am talking about. That's when I want them to button up, but they won't stay that way.

That's because those TC's are not Borg, they don't have the same view of the battlefield as you do. Hence they occasionaly pop-up to see what is going on around them smile.gif

Originally posted by Michael emrys:

And historically, the attrition rate among TCs was pretty high.

Michael

My uncle was a Sherman TC in France, I believe with the South Alberta Tank Regiment. He told me that on one occasion his platoon was advancing through an orchard. He and the other TC were standing in the turrets.

He suddenly noticed that a tank adjacent to him was rotating its turret while the TC yelled at him. He looked up in time to see a German soldier in a tree pointing a scoped rifle at him. The adjoining tank fired its main gun, and he saw the rifle spiral away with the soldier's weak hand still grasping it.

He said that was the event he least expected to survive.

Thus far the TC button and unbutton AI has seemed pretty good to me. I had a Stug III waiting in ambush of some advancing tanks. He remained unbuttoned while engaging the tanks. (He was partially concealed behind a building and woods.)

But later on, still trading rounds with the advancing T-34's, an IL-2 began taking runs on him. As the bomber came in, he'd button up, then as soon as the plane passed over head, he'd unbutton again. It was great fun to watch.

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Back in '75, when I was a gunner on an M60A1 tank, I asked my TC if he would stay down (buttoned) when it got hairy outside.

He said, "Hell no! We have to know what's going on or they'll kill us for sure. If I get hit, then it's your turn to keep an eye on things."

Treeburst155 out.

Can't you mount a video camera on the turret and watch it on a monitor inside the tank? Wait, I finally found a legitimate use for the X10 cameras! smile.gif

Overall, I like the way the tanks unbutton rather than staying buttoned for the rest of the turn, especially the AI since it makes the AI a tougher opponent. But I am only trying to do what is good for them. They better not come crying to me when their heads get blown off.