Question about Soviet support weapon

Ok I know this is a stupid question because I neither have a picture of it nor any other background.

In many tv documentations about the Soviet assault on Berlin some historical movie material about the fighting is shown. In one of these outtakes I saw a Soviet vehicle which basically looked like a large calibre howitzer on tracks, which was used in a direct fire role.

Now has anyone an idea what this support weapon was, if it was ever meant for mass production or was a front conversion ??

Yep - if it's pointing your way you really should duck!! redface.gif

They used those track carriages on a rang of 203mm howitzers and some less common 152mm guns.

I forget teh designatinos of the howitzers but I think they came in 2 barrel lengths (L16.5 and L20??) and with a couple of other differences to make for 4 varieties total.

Originally posted by Dowarisch:

Wow, thanks for the info, too bad these guns didn´t make it into CMBB.

There is a good reason why you don't see them in game like you would an ISU-152. They were definitely offboard artillery and beyond the scope of CMBB as a tactical wargame. FYI, those tracks are just for mobility like a pair of wheels. It's not self-propelled.

According to "The Red Army Handbook":

The Red Army retained its heaviest artillery in units of the Supreme Command Reserve. The most important pieces during the war were a family of three weapons mounted on a common tracked carriage. These were the 203mm B-4 howitzer Model 1931, the 152mm BR-2 gun model 1935 and the 280mm BR-5 mortar Model 1939.
Clearly a weapon retained at higher levels of command. You'll just have to be satisfied being able to call in 210mm and 240mm artillery instead.

[ October 13, 2002, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Actually, that 203 mm tracked howitzer has as much right to be in CMBB as does the Sturmtiger.

Omigosh...Heresy...burn him at the BFC stake!

Well, there were a lot more of those built than the ST's and they were used in Berlin (at least, if not in other city environments as well) to bust up city blocks. From just down the street. Not "off board" at all. Their absence is sorta sucky, know what I mean? :confused: :(

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

Actually, that 203 mm tracked howitzer has as much right to be in CMBB as does the Sturmtiger.

Omigosh...Heresy...burn him at the BFC stake!

Well, there were a lot more of those built than the ST's and they were used in Berlin (at least, if not in other city environments as well) to bust up city blocks. From just down the street. Not "off board" at all. Their absence is sorta sucky, know what I mean? :confused: :(

Well, you could also argue that the SturmTiger doesn't really belong in the game but it's in there anyway as you can imagine the uproar if it weren't.

Anyway, the 203mm was very rarely in any direct fire role unlike any of the SU or ISU considering it's caliber and its purpose. There are plenty of other heavy artillery assets one can use in its place.