Tractor works - why include this? (spoiler)

My first full game of CMBB was the Dzerhzinsky Tractor Works as Germans. There are 3 huge halls. Veteran Germans in the first one, Green russians in the other two.

The Germans advance/assault for a few turns, reach the third factory, win, game over. I can't imagine it's more fun playing the russians here as the scenario doesn't really allow for maneuvering. The tanks/mortars/rocket FOs are completely useless.

I've played some 'Rune' scenarios before (CMBO) and they were excellent. Interesting terrains and situations and lots of nasty surprises for both sides. Now, this one is a waste of time (sorry). Has anybody had fun playing this one?

Originally posted by Zarquon:

I've played some 'Rune' scenarios before (CMBO) and they were excellent. Interesting terrains and situations and lots of nasty surprises for both sides. Now, this one is a waste of time (sorry). Has anybody had fun playing this one?

No scenario will please all people. Personally, I rather enjoyed this one.

Originally posted by Zarquon:

The tanks/mortars/rocket FOs are completely useless.

Not for me they weren't. It was a challenge to target with the mortars, but that was fun too.

[Edit- improvements to buildings are NA]

I've never had so many Routed enemies piled on top of each other in one place at game's end.

Eden

[ November 02, 2002, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Eden Smallwood ]

If you saw the other thread...the buildings are EXACTLY the way they were in real life. Both Berli and I got maps and aerial photos, and i even measured the buildings. My map is a small section of the real thing.

Why was it on? It was one of the bloodiest battles that took place. My attack is the initial attack, wwb took my map, and then made a battle much later, when much of the factory is rubble. Also the reason for no trenches...this is the initial assault, before the area waws flattened, and/or reinforced. The battle actually took place, why wouldn't it be on?

Play it two player...people had a lot of fun with it, as evidenced at scenario depot. Just becasue you don't like a style, doesn't mean everyone doesn't like it. If you don't want to, fine, as not everyone likes the same style of battle. However, realize there are many different styles of players, who like many different types of terrain. We tried to get on the CD a lot of different style of terrain, and a lot of different styles of play.

Rune

[ November 02, 2002, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: rune ]

I am just finishing a PBEM of this - and liked it and hated it both.

My opponents Pz IV keeps going back and forth between the two main halls, and it is infuriating! I have very few MOL left to try and take him out, so he liesurely cruises right down the middle of my troops each turn. All the other tanks on the board are gone.

My initial setup was weak because the briefing seemed not to say with precision where the Germans were starting - perhaps this was intentional, or perhaps my opponent put all his eggs in one basked - I haven't opened the scenario in the editor to see where the German setup zone is.

Originally posted by rune:

If you saw the other thread...the buildings are EXACTLY the way they were in real life. Both Berli and I got maps and aerial photos, and i even measured the buildings. My map is a small section of the real thing.

Oh!

Well in that case I rescind all my comments on possibilities viz alterations. Hope they didn't offend- as stated, it was a blast for me personally.

Eden

I think the map is created according to the boardgame Combat! Stalingrad. That game has an accurate tactical map of the tractor work. However, I do not know if the CMBB scenario itself is a direct translation of the scenario of the boardgame or not ( I guess there are some modification). That is a wonderful boardgame, and it inspires me to make some CMBB scenario for Stalingrad.... I am currently working on a CMBB battle and operation relating to the Tractor Work, and I hope it will be finished soon and share it with you ;) .

I played it as German, too, and found it very good - try adding the AI w/ +25 or +50 troops and the scenario turns into a disturbingly delicious slaughterhouse.

From what I've seen so far, I think this scenario explores the possibilities of indoor battles w/ the current engine to the max and is quite interesting in that sense also; although I'm not sure whether the two stories represent much of a change in exposure/targetting.

But it WAS fun shooting down the walls to expose the inhabitants to some tank fire, and on the other hand, to stalk the circling KV's with flamethrowers and explosives from inside the building...

A good Soviet defense in this one is extremely hard for the Germans to beat. I lost all my Soviet tanks(frustrating since he engaged both of my tankssimultaneously with 1 of his) and I still managed a victory against a quite skilled opponent.

If you like factory fighting, this is the scenario. iI you don't like factory fighting, well, it's a factory fight.

Originally posted by miragex:

I think the map is created according to the boardgame Combat! Stalingrad.

No it is not. It is based on the 1942 German army map of Stalingrad and the Luftwaffe aerial photographs. the same sources were used on the map for the 'To The Volga' operation. i have Combat! Stalingrad, and the map suffers from the need to have roads, railroads, etc. follow hexes... otherwise, it is a very close map to the original

Yep...Berli got the sources after i made my first map...where i had the buildings too large and facing the wrong direction. We worked together and witht he map, got the actual sizes of the buildings with help of the map legend. So, I redid my buildings and got them north-south instead of the east-west I originally had. I do not have the board game, this is strictly from the aerial photos and maps Berli got.

Rune